got ethical husbandry?

Neptune Apex announcements at MACNA 2016

Excited for the FMM! It also looks like I might pick up a newer Apex sooner than I thought.

Seems like a lot of manufacturers are jumping on their IoTA wireless standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think iota would catch on but there's a couple big names getting involved.

I hadn't decided on an ato yet so the fmm comes just in time.

Excited to see the external power supply for the PMUP seeing as how I just had to swap out another Tunze osmolator pump. They're cheap, but I don't mind paying a bit more for a brushless pump that lasts longer. Might even go all in and get the ATO with the PMUP and FMM with the magnetic bracket.

Hmm that was my one complaint with the Neptune booth, because it was so large they basically had room to show off everything and I didn't know what was actually new. Saw the COR, saw the PMUP, saw the WAV, saw that flow counter thingy, assumed all of it was already on the market since all of it was working.

I just read their entire website for the first time and was curious about what was left unsaid. I'm trying to figure out what modules I would need for my stripped down tank build. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it the temperature probe controls the heaters and chiller. If the pH probe controls the Calcium Reactor, does it also control the DOS pumps in lieu of CaRx, or is the 2-part DOS[ing] system a standalone unit? I was also confused by the FMM and how it integrates with the ATO and/or salinity probe, do they all work together or is there redundancy? If I'm using two MP60's Is it enough to just plug them into the main powerbar or do I need the dedicated EcoTech module? At this point I don't plan on running ozone, so don't see the need for ORP. Return pump, Skimmer, and MH lights are plugged into powerbar, got it. That's like 12-14 different plugs. What actually needs to be Apex controlled versus directly into a regular outlet? There's convenience and water parameter stability, but then there's also just plain over automation....

Last edited:
Depends on where you put the ph probe. Most CaRx have a ph probe port, so you would use it there. If you want to monitor tank ph, and seeing as you are not going to use ORP, you can put another Ph probe in place of the Orp probe.

The optical sensors plug into the FMM. They included a 24v DC port into the FMM so you can plug the PMUP into that. If you buy the ATO setup, it will come complete. Or you can piece meal the setup.

To control MP pumps, you will need the WXM module. Unless Ecotech and Neptune play nice and Ecotech incorporates the IoTa into their pumps.

Decide what you want to be able to turn off from the power bar by Apex. If on/off control is not needed, just use a reg power strip.

Great, more fun things to spend lots of money on. ;)

I just hope we don't lose reliability though.
The whole wireless internet of things sounds great.
But there are so many things that can go wrong once you have heavy cloud and wireless communication.

I did a really nice particle photon based setup ... which I had to trash.
(Particle photon is one of the big DIY wireless IOT players)
I added a lot of work arounds, but it would still hang every month or two.
And in the forums, it seems like a lot of people are having these issues.

A hang or crash on a cute little DIY project is no big deal, but it is very bad if it is your main controller.

My 10 year old Arduino keeps plodding along just fine though.

Just a thought -- with more and more products coming from Neptune and a lot of confusion on who needs what it would be great if one of our experts could hold a demonstration and Q & A event. I'm relatively tech savvy, but I know I'm not utilizing my Apex fully and would love some easy explanations.

Just a thought -- with more and more products coming from Neptune and a lot of confusion on who needs what it would be great if one of our experts could hold a demonstration and Q & A event. I'm relatively tech savvy, but I know I'm not utilizing my Apex fully and would love some easy explanations.

Start a new post.

List what you want to do n I'm sure someone will help.

Back