Jestersix

where to buy glass in or around san jose?

jph

hey everybody.

i was wondering if someone could point me to a store where i can buy custom cut glass. i have a little DIY project coming up, and i don't know where to buy the glass :) i'm rather new to this area.

any help appreciated!
J.

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=5144.msg63317#msg63317 date=1226343478]
How big of a piece and how thick did you need?
[/quote]

multiple small pieces basically. not all of them will be square, and the biggest one around 19"x10" will need a cutout in the middle.

i don't have exact measurements just yet, but it's going to be a stand for a current sunPod, on top of my 24G aquapod. the stock legs are not tall enough, and i can not suspend it above the tank :)

basically, i need a bunch of small pieces, and one "larger piece with a coutout that is slightly bigget than the glass cover plate under the MH bulb.

if that makes any sense.

J.

AMC glass in SJ can cut glass for you. They are a bit expensive. There is a place in cupertino but I forgot the address.

Can't you make something out of acrylic? Would be a lot cheaper if you can use scrap acrylic.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5144.msg63324#msg63324 date=1226345315]
AMC glass in SJ can cut glass for you. They are a bit expensive. There is a place in cupertino but I forgot the address.

Can't you make something out of acrylic? Would be a lot cheaper if you can use scrap acrylic.
[/quote]

thanks!

i don't think that acrylic will handle the heat of a MH bulb very well.

J.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5144.msg63329#msg63329 date=1226347008]
A lot of people make the leg for MH light out of acrylic. It's not like you have it directly under the bulb.
[/quote]

it's not just going to be legs. it's going to be a whole support spanning the tank.

cost is not an issue, i just need to find a competent glass shop that can cut glass the way i want it :)

J.

Check out AMC glass. I used to go there to buy glass. Just give them the dimensions, pay and come back in 30 minutes or 1 hour. Aquarium Showroom is pretty close by ;)..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5144.msg63334#msg63334 date=1226347708]
Check out AMC glass. I used to go there to buy glass. Just give them the dimensions, pay and come back in 30 minutes or 1 hour. Aquarium Showroom is pretty close by ;)..
[/quote]

cool! i just visited the aquarium showroom last weekend :)

J.

if u need just square/rectangular cuts try goin to OSH thats where i get all of my glass for my sumps...but looks like u need a hole cut in the middle...

so the glass is the structural support holding up the Aquapod? If it breaks would the pod falls into the tank? I don't think I'd trust small panels of glass for structural support, too easy to be compromised with any stress, shock, impact, especially if its going to have a hole cut out of the middle, sounds extremely weak for glass. Acrylic will be lighter, stronger, and easier to remove/handle. Since the bulb is going to be over the cut out, there is no way it could melt the acrylic.

just my 2cents!

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=5144.msg63447#msg63447 date=1226423937]
so the glass is the structural support holding up the Aquapod? If it breaks would the pod falls into the tank? I don't think I'd trust small panels of glass for structural support, too easy to be compromised with any stress, shock, impact, especially if its going to have a hole cut out of the middle, sounds extremely weak for glass. Acrylic will be lighter, stronger, and easier to remove/handle. Since the bulb is going to be over the cut out, there is no way it could melt the acrylic.

just my 2cents!

Cheers,

Josh
[/quote]

i realize that. and i'm currently still thinking about how to do this. the plans are not final, i was just gathering info :)

another option that i'm playing with is building a half open wood canopy .

i just haven't figured out how to combine the functionality and the look that i want together :)

J.

I've thought about how to do this with my NanoCube 24, I was thinking if I got quality acrylic and had it heat flexed to a arc you could then cut out holes on either side to slide the Sunpod into and out of of. Not sure if this can even be done with arcylic and if it would make it brittle or not, but TAP plastics might have some suggestion and types of acrylic that might work.

Sunpod_Lighting.jpg

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=5144.msg63478#msg63478 date=1226432862]
I've thought about how to do this with my NanoCube 24, I was thinking if I got quality acrylic and had it heat flexed to a arc you could then cut out holes on either side to slide the Sunpod into and out of of. Not sure if this can even be done with arcylic and if it would make it brittle or not, but TAP plastics might have some suggestion and types of acrylic that might work.[/quote]

interesting.
are you planning to heat up the acrylic yourself, and bend it?

J.

I think TAP plastic has one of these babies http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/468823

essentially a long heated roller that allows you to push and bend the acrylic evenly and continuously. If you have the specs the might be able to do it for you, but they might charge. Not sure how you can do it yourself, but with all the DIY acrylic pages out there I'm sure someone figure it out.

Cheers,

Josh

Back