Cali Kid Corals

Tool to pluck hair algae?

I recently put in some trochus. Suppose there is no harm in picking up yet more snails. At least snail poop exports easier! :)

I've also got some chaeto and a 24/7 PAR38 clip light mounted over the refugium now, so hopefully that'll start competing out the HA.

Trocus got nothing on mexican turbos when it come to gha lol. A few 1" turbo will shave your tank clean in a day or two.

Trochus snails for me have not noticeably dented my GHA. I put in 20 and have probably a hundred now, but still had GHA unless turbos went in.

The Yellow Atlas gloves on Amazon are cheaper than the Coralife ones, and are cotton lined so you don't get that sweat/wet sticky feeling. I find them a little easier to dry as well in the finger areas. But both have that hole up at top... so many times the water got in somehow when I'm going for my sandbed (24" deep)... just tried to make a habit of plugging/holding that hole with my other hand when possible. An extra inch or two would be nice to go over the shoulder.

You must have long arms! The Coralife gloves measure 27" from top of middle finger to the end. Comes up to my armpits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have long arms! The Coralife gloves measure 27" from top of middle finger to the end. Comes up to my armpits!

Goes to my armpits too, but since my canopy doesn't really move easy, I'm only accessing from the front and not the sides... can't always go straight down. When reaching towards back bottom, water height goes past my armpits :/

Bubble algae is my main nemisis... but my aquarium plastic tongs works pretty well for larger clumps of hair algae and easy to pull bubble algae. Works great for movement of frag plugs and most other smaller tasks in the tank. I use them almost daily. There are a lot of brands that make the same one, not sure of the quality difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1XRCBQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51oswhrYDlL._SL1500_.jpg

My vote would be for a bristletooth Tang. I think they do a better job than snails and you don't spend the time it takes for manual removal. They eat all day long. Plus they are fun to watch.

My vote would be for a bristletooth Tang. I think they do a better job than snails and you don't spend the time it takes for manual removal. They eat all day long. Plus they are fun to watch.

Then you have not watch a turbo mowing down GHA! that stuff is hypnotic. My wife woke up at 1am one night, "what are you staring at?" "snail eating algae"

I knew my Bristletooth was something special after seeing him even eat poop that came right out of my Yellow Tang lol such an eating machine

Seahare is quite the mower as well.

I fear the tang police would frown at me with two tangs in a 90. Already got a yellow.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Then you have not watch a turbo mowing down GHA! that stuff is hypnotic. My wife woke up at 1am one night, "what are you staring at?" "snail eating algae"
Lol okay time for some big turbos. I'm sure they'll knock down my corals too. Time to get the tongs as well...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Like I said you can barrow my algae mower and try it out. It works great and taking hair algae off.

I'm in North San Jose

I think I will take you up on the offer and give it a try. I'm going to pick up a load of Mexican turbos on the weekend so I'll be in the area.

I tried some tongs today. They worked a bit but wow it'll take forever.

Dunno what is up but my chaeto is melting away.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm actually heading to tokyo so won't be around for a week.

No worries I've got out of town company this week as well.

I will pick up a big bag of Mexican turbos and unleash them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back