Neptune Aquatics

Nano Protein Skimmers

Have you used any of these nano protein skimmers? Please comment after voting.

• Aquatic Life Protein Skimmer 115 Mini

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CAD Lights Nano Pipeless

• Aqua Euro Nano Protein Skimmer 2

• Innovative Marine Mini Max Media Reactor

• Tunze Nano 100C Protein Skimmer

• Eshopps Nano Protein Skimmer

• Reef Octopus NS-80 Nano Protein Skimmer

• Total voters
Fellow Reefers -- Please vote for any nano protein skimmers in this list that you have used, then leave a comment with your experience, good or bad.

If a nano protein skimmer you have used is missing, please let me know and I will add it.

Innovate Marine Ghost Desktop Mini. Takes a couple weeks to break in, even with a thorough vinegar and baking soda scrubbing. Still trying to consistently get skimmate from it. Has a tendency to stop skimming and flood the display with micro-bubbles. The motor is noisy and the noise gets worse with increasing air injection. I will be looking for a replacement motor that is quieter.

I had the aquamaxx hob-1. It was a great skimmer. Pretty quiet, good skimate production. I don't know if I would consider it a nano skimmer though. It's rated for up to 70 gallons.

I don't know if I would consider it a nano skimmer though. It's rated for up to 70 gallons.
I started my list with the protein skimmers mentioned in BRS's "Will It Fit?" video about the JBJ Nanocube 24. That one did not fit all the way in the middle rear compartment, but if it's small enough for consideration, that's nano enough for me! :D

I had a hydor nano, and didn't like it much. The pump needed cleaning pretty often and you need to disassemble the whole skimmer to get to it, which was a pain.

I've used both the Innovative Marine (still in use) and the Aquamaxx HOB (on a 75 gallon.) Aquamaxx is an awesome skimmer, but won't fit in a rear compartment obviously. The IM skimmer is marginal at best. Bot of mime are perfectly quiet they just don't skim much. It seems that most people with IM tanks looking for an upgrade go with the Tunze.

I used a 20gal IM nano tank IM SkimMate skimmer for 3 years and went through two pumps. The skim level is sensitive to the output foam sponge position and there's no pump intake filtering/strainer. I replaced it with a Tunze 9004 DC that is easier to use in every way. I can't say it's quieter because it makes a different noise (hard to compare) but it is collecting more junk. There is only one adjustment variable, the DC pump knob. The water height is just at the line marked on the skimmer. Also it surface skims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started my list with the protein skimmers mentioned in BRS's "Will It Fit?" video about the JBJ Nanocube 24. That one did not fit all the way in the middle rear compartment, but if it's small enough for consideration, that's nano enough for me! :D
I removed the baffle/divider between chamber 2 and the return in my jbj 24 cube and was able to squeeze in an aquamaxx ws-1. I run it about six hours once or twice a week depending on how heavy I feed and water change frequency

I had the aquamaxx hob-1. It was a great skimmer. Pretty quiet, good skimate production. I don't know if I would consider it a nano skimmer though. It's rated for up to 70 gallons.
I have one of these now and it's an excellent skimmer, producing about 1/4c of light skimmate a night on an IM 30L. It's also much quieter than the other small skimmers I have tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back