Jestersix

Help interpret my Water Chemistry ...pre-dosing

Yeah dude! The water change raises the ALK by 1.0dKh ... BUT ... the ENORMOUS B U T ... The tank consumes 0.1dKh a day apparently.
Which basically brings me back to the beginning of this situation: ALK INSTABILITY.

So I found this forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

Where they discuss Salt Mix Parameters.

So is this where this situation has led me... to switch salts?
Because technically, I can infer from what you guys have said, if I stay with the same salt I would have to slowly raise the ALK back to the parameters of Red Sea´s Coral Pro Salt Mix? Which are a whopping 12.5 ALK, which explains why I have been reading 12.6ALK with the Water Change Water.

What do you guys think? is there a reason to get married to a salt mix?

Most importantly, should I skip the next water change and go with a different brand, or should I do a 5 gallon 10% WC in hopes the ALK will increase 0.5 instead of 1.0? Is 0.5dKh increase too much? or is it considered "stable"? (five days of no dosing?)...

Right on fellas! Seems like we have started narrow down this reef tank's ALK requirements. Although still boggled by the test results.

Yesterday was WC, same as every Wednesday.

Today ALK is 8.8dKh. (or 0.63ml of the Red Sea ALK syringe used). I thought it was going to be at 9.7dKh. Seems like it didn't go like we expected everyone, life is a mystery. What gives?

More tests and results will be posted waiting for the next questions to arise.

Last edited:
Finally bought the FRITZ RPM Salt. I skipped last weeks Water Change, and decided to keep dosing 8ml=0.1dKh of ALK every day.
Water Change is in 3 days, that would be two skipped water changes.

These are the results taken at roughly the same time of the day. Around 8pm. Light dims off a little after 9pm.

4/5
WATER CHANGE
8.8dKh

4/6
8.8dKh

4/9 +8ml ALK
8.9dKh

4/10 +16ml ALK
9.0 dKh

4/11 +16ml ALK
9.1 dKh

4/12
WATER CHANGE
9.35 dKh

4/13
9.8 dKh

4/15 +8ml ALK
9.7dkH

4/18 + 8ml ALK
9.1 dKh
420 CA
1600 MG
12ppb-0.037ppm Po4

4/21
9.1 dKh
390 CA
1540 MG

4/22 +8 ml ALK
9.1dKh
415 CA

4/23
9.1dKh
440 CA

yay!! can't wait for the box of salt to arrive! ... so excited to receive granules of salt

on the other hand, I have been looking for mixing instructions...
for instance, for the RSCP 5.1oz will make 1.025 in a gallon of RODI.

does anyone know how much (in weight, grams or ounces) Fritz per gallon of RODI to achieve 1.025?

So the warehouse was out of Fritz salt when I ordered. The box should arrive on Tuesday, just in time for Water Change Wednesdays.
Since it was delayed, I had to perform a WC yesterday because 2 weeks without maintenance is just unacceptable.

ALK has been stable at 9.1dKh for a couple of months now and coloration on some coral has improved, as well as on the anemones.

***wishing I had good photo taking skills*** ...but it is just embarrassing LOL

Back