Neptune Aquatics

Madarin fish food

Edgar Sandoval

Supporting Member
What do you guys feed your Mandarin fish? Just got one and was told they it anything (they lied to me) he has been in my tank 4 days and seems happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard good things about Nutama ova. But the problem would be how to feed Mandy before others steal it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

They sell these small jars at bed bath I tie a fish line and dump the ova in and drop it near the Mandy. He'll swim in and eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All good answers above. You can buy or culture an initial population and then let the birds and the bees do their thing. They breed readily in a tank or refugium and as long as the population is large enough to sustain itself you'll never have to worry about feeding mandarins again. That being said I strongly recommend you start with at least three different species if you want to stock a tank for Mandarins. Almost all RFS sell Tisbe pods from Reef Nutrition or other vendors. Most also carry Ali-Gen copedpods and amphipods and they have two or three species normal;ly available. Copepod populations tend to collapse and then bloom over time so by having multiple species you don't have to worry your Mandarins are going through lean times.

If you have a good pod population and enough rocks and fuge, I see my mandarin peck at things and search around. Didn't really see him go crazy when I feed other fish. After a while, saw him eat pellets, so all good now.

A good ball of chaeto with pods already in, might be a good breeding space for the little bugs to supply the main tank. When I had a tank, I loved to see how the fish went after a pod was sent out the return nozzle, specially the wrasses but the md would chase them too.

I've never actually seen one eat flakes. Is that video shot from inside the tank or did you just clean the glass on only that side of the tank?

Back