Our mission

Thinking of getting a CaRX...

I ask because It matters what chemicals you are using because they are not all the same strength. Bionic is like double the concentration of the brs stuff.

I think I maxed out about 120-150 mL daily before my tank crashed. Agreed, different brands have different concentrations. I never tried to do a higher concentration with the BRS stuff, but with my Magnesium from Aquatic Collection group buy years ago which I still a lot left, I mix in 3.6 times the amount of powder per gallon. I do get slight brown dusting though, but not sure if it's just the nature of the mix or I'm making it too strong. Been doing this for years though with no issues.

I've read in other threads that people even dose up to 3-400 mL per day. I really do want to switch to CaRX for the set it and almost forget it approach and additional trace elements, but I'll wait until I'm tired of mixing gallons, which really isn't that bad at all.

300-400ml per day that's going to need some major storage the three element. It gets very tiresome to mix a new batch every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I think I got up to like 36mL/day on my 30 gallon. I got the vertex CaRx for my 120. I wanted to try and start it up when I got back from vacation. I'm at about 30mL/day right now that I'm dosing manually. I'm not interested in dosing manually much more.

So cool to read these posts.

Right now I'm adding 150mL of each 2 part per day. I make my solutions from dry chemicals based pretty closely on RHF's recommendations. I buy additives from Neptune, or get them from other BAR members - thanks @bee505 :D . I run my ATO through a kalk stirrer on my 70 gal. While this is working, there are a few reasons I'd like to move away from this method: The amount of 2 part I add is raising the salinity between water changes, the amount of kalk dosed depends on evaporation which changes with the weather, I'm going to have a few deresa clams in my refugium (30 gal display fuge which is not plumbed yet, but the clams are in my DT now. Not that this involves clams, but I'm going for something similar to this with my fuge), and as they grow, the amount of Ca/Alk they consume will only increase.

I've read through the RC posts about masterflex pumps, and those do seem like the way to go. Cost, not so much the issue (my used AP700 was more expensive), it's more about making sure I get the right piece of equipment and have the room for it in my setup - this is one of the reasons the Skimz is appealing - they claim no peri pump needed... But the point about a needle valve clogging is well taken. For the CO2 reg, this thread from a while back inspired me, and I was planning to do something like that. Funny, it seems like the investment of going to CaRX is more about the feed pump and regulator than the cost of the reactor. At least those two items should scale to whatever setup I may have in the future and should last a long time.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to accept the price/inconvenience of entry and look for a small-ish reactor that will fit in my sump. And, more importantly, start looking for a good feed pump and assembling a regulator.

A good masterflex, carbon doser regulator, apex with dual ph a decent reactor is all you need. I'm planning to add a kalk reactor to my setup to supplement the low pH.

I'll have pump that feeds the kalk reactor top off when ph in tank is < 8.3 the other pump will top off when I have ph > 8.3. the fail safe I added to the kalk reactor is that if ph of tank is greater than 8.3 turn power off kalk stirrer and kalk feed pump. Also turn on the apex control solenoid on the fmm module. I'll also add in 3 float switches one for min water level , one for max and over for emergency heigh. Also the output of the kalk feed will also have a mechanical float shutoff. These fail safe should cover any issue I may have running a kalk reactor with my carx.

bea67cd8744e7d3f322ec1a7ba1257f5.jpg

6b2aa2a561e7daea213db42f95b379e9.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, do tanks that run kalkwasser usually run 8.3 pH or higher? I knew it increased the pH but I didn't expect it to get that high. I guess I was thinking a steady 8.2. Right now I'm struggling to keep my average at 8.1.

Back