Reef nutrition

Fritz salt

I would like some feedback on this issue. When I was using instant ocean I usually add one bag for 50gal and a few cups more for my 55gal storage tank to reach 25ppm. Now I seem to use much more fritz salt to reach 25ppm. Also, when I put the two bags of salt, instant ocean and fritz, side by side to make a 50 gal, the fritz salt is less. What gives? Anyone noticing the same issue?
I'm not entirely sure but I remember the grains of salt being coarser in the IO. The Fritz salt is very fine. Also salt is the primary portion of the mix but it is a mix of a bunch of stuff. I wonder if IO has more of that other stuff.

Not sure, but I've always used IO and haven't looked back. I still remember the behind the scene tour at Steinhart where there were boatloads of IO in huge bags (each one was like a pallet by itself). They mix their own salt there now but still keep IO on hand just in case it's needed.

Couple of old pics from the Steinhart tour back in 2009.

D2X_5016.jpg

D2X_5021.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I just cleaned out my 58 gallon barrel that I store my SW in. There was quite a bit of "stuff" on the sides that I had to clean off. Most of it would come off by simply rinsing but a little needed to be scrubbed.
IMG_4512.JPG

Before

IMG_4515.JPG

After

I then filled it with 50 gallons and it took 27 cups of salt to reach 1.026. Not too far off from their 1/2 cup per gallon recommendation. The alkalinity tested at 8.2 dKH. Lets see if it stays that way.

Never thought about it but just saw on another thread. Since I have IO and Fritz in hand, I will try to mix both next water change. About 75/25 Fritz/IO. IO will boost Alk a bit (was getting 7.8-8.0 Fritz) and lower high CA and Mag from Fritz. Wonder if it will help with the Alk storage stability too.

Never thought about it but just saw on another thread. Since I have IO and Fritz in hand, I will try to mix both next water change. About 75/25 Fritz/IO. IO will boost Alk a bit (was getting 7.8-8.0 Fritz) and lower high CA and Mag from Fritz. Wonder if it will help with the Alk storage stability too.

How could you commit such blasphemy. Your mixing container will blow up from this unholy union.

I thought I'd try switching out to fritz because IORC was making my alk swing too much during a large WC. So I mixed up my first batch a few days ago. After an hour, mix was at 8.4 dKh, by the next day it had definitely precipated and went down to 6.9.

Washing the bucket now and everything is coated with off white powder.

Mixing bucket was washed down with a hose before making the batch, but no scrubbing, power washing or vinegar. Going to mix another bucket now after a power wash and vinegar bath.

We need to find what the catalyst is because this is annoying.

Just did 18 gallon mix. 7 cups Fritz, 2.25 cups IO.

Salinity 1.0255-1.026 (Refractometer and Milwaukee). Alk 8.5 (Hanna). Ca 430-440 (Salifert). Mag 1420-1440 (Salifert) ... shut off pump, brute lid on, will check back storage results on Monday.

Just did 18 gallon mix. 7 cups Fritz, 2.25 cups IO.

Salinity 1.0255-1.026 (Refractometer and Milwaukee). Alk 8.5 (Hanna). Ca 430-440 (Salifert). Mag 1420-1440 (Salifert) ... shut off pump, brute lid on, will check back storage results on Monday.

Think you need to keep the water circulating?

I had recirculated my previous batch where the alk dropped so this batch has not been circulated. I still need to check the alk since it's been sitting for a month now. I haven't noticed any of the white buildup on the container this time either.

I thought I'd try switching out to fritz because IORC was making my alk swing too much during a large WC. So I mixed up my first batch a few days ago. After an hour, mix was at 8.4 dKh, by the next day it had definitely precipated and went down to 6.9.

Washing the bucket now and everything is coated with off white powder.

Mixing bucket was washed down with a hose before making the batch, but no scrubbing, power washing or vinegar. Going to mix another bucket now after a power wash and vinegar bath.

We need to find what the catalyst is because this is annoying.

Yeah. Getting real frustrated with fritz. Bucket was power washed and soaked in ammonia to get rid of any residual precipitation and 24 hours later after mixing a new bucket, I'm at 6.6 dKh. TDS of water was 0. Temp was a little on the warm side 80ish because it was a hot day yesterday and my garage gets real hot.

What to do?

So I wonder with that alk drop occur if you used the water immediately? Or is it something about the storage of it that causes the precipitation?

Either way, I do appreciate people talking about this so I can stay away from it until things get worked out.

I just live with it. Make smaller batches and use soon after. I still like how clean it mixes. I haven't seen that crude build up in my mixing station and have now gone through 4 boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a little over a month since I first mixed this batch up and There's about 40% left. When first mixed it read at 8.2 dkh and I just tested it now at 5.1 and 5.3 (I tested it twice to make sure). This was from a clean barrel and I don't see any visible buildup on the walls of the barrel so I'm not sure where it's going. It's hard to say if this is going on in the tank and our methods of dosing is just masking it.

Back