Reef nutrition

CAD Lights 46G

Yep, all done in the office. I have a wall on one side of the office where the brute tub is located and filled with sw. Changing 5G takes like 10 minutes from draining the tank into a bucket and then refilling from the brute.

No idea on why the eel died either. Just stopped eating and slowly got weaker and weaker. I did get it when it was pretty big already so no idea what its age was at that time.

My two protested eating once then it ate again not sure if it's naturally they don't eat. Usually I only feed them once a week. And they are active.

I'm not sure if it's the same with all eels but I've read about the zebra Moray eel going a month at times with out eating. I read up on it because mine hasn't eaten for about a month now. He is quite a bit larger than yours though.

Golden dwarf moray kicked the bucket. Stopped eating over a week ago and finally used up all its reserves. Found it on its back side being blown around by the current with very shallow breathing. Pulled him out of the tank at that point and euthanized it in the freezer. Came in at a hefty 11" and lived in the tank for over a year. Not sure how long they live, but it was doing so well up to that point. I probably won't keep another since they're so cryptic.

My usual daily weekday feeding will be short of the intermittent silverside that I feed via tongs. The below is thawed and then fed throughout the day.
daily_feeding_080317.jpg

Chaeto reactor needs to be pruned back soon. It was reset on the 22nd and has grown a fair amount.
chaeto_progress_080317.jpg

So, you feed 6 cubes/day in your 46g? Do you feed throughout the day? What is your stock list?

6 cubes and then whatever I break off from the LRS flatpak. They're fed once an hour or so and stock list includes:

3 green chromis
2 evansi anthias
2 onyx clowns
1 yellow tang
1 tomini tang
1 copper banded butterfly

The Apex AFS also dumps in pellets twice a day.

No nuisance algae in tank at all (knock on wood). Haven't had any nuisance algae since the tank fully cycled and I pulled the eggcrate frag rack out. I used to have bryopsis and cyano on the rack but no where else. Now it's just rocks and coralline everywhere. Aiptasia is a different story however and I hope that one day this copper banded starts picking on them like the previous one that I had.

6 cubes and then whatever I break off from the LRS flatpak. They're fed once an hour or so and stock list includes:

3 green chromis
2 evansi anthias
2 onyx clowns
1 yellow tang
1 tomini tang
1 copper banded butterfly

The Apex AFS also dumps in pellets twice a day.
How do you feed them every hour? Not by hand do you?

Yep, by hand since it's in my office. The desk is less than 10' away from the tank.

The frozen food is thawed out in the 200mL beaker. I just swish it around and dump food in every hour or so from it.

The footprint of chaeto reactor is much nicer than waterfall ATS. May have to switch.

I've had good luck with peppermint Shrimp for small aptasia.

If you ever find any Peppermints let me know. I have been looking for weeks with no luck.

It's been sold out at Neptune and don't have ETA. My peppermint lasted for a few years, but it met its demise when I did a rescape and probably messed up it hiding spots. Plus more wrasses prob didn't help.

Back