Reef nutrition

Goal: zero waste-water -- saltwater friendly garden?

I know what YOU mean Flagg. But I don't understand how you understood what SHE asked :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A) Love that you knew it was Betsy not Lawrence.
B) Watched a video. What Flagg said made perfect sense.

And by the way, had a fun chat tonight with someone about the salt water planter. He's intrigued at the 0 waste water concept. Not a reef guy, but a science guy. With a shop. A really awesome shop.

Well if you wanted to go super MacGyver, you could rig up some evaporation system that lets the evaporated (non-salty) water drain out and use that for irrigation, then periodically just dump the brine down the drain.. It'd be something similar to what you'd needed to do if stuck on a deserted island. That said, not sure it'd be worth the effort, but points for effort if you did :D

Yep, the right answer in this case may be a solar still. You can find plans on most of the survivalist sites. Salt water goes in, sunlight causes evaporation of pretty pure H2O, which condenses and runs to a collector. Eventually, the still will fill with salts, which can be scooped out and tossed. It would be a low waste solution, without causing massive salt build-up in the soil.

Yep, the right answer in this case may be a solar still. You can find plans on most of the survivalist sites. Salt water goes in, sunlight causes evaporation of pretty pure H2O, which condenses and runs to a collector. Eventually, the still will fill with salts, which can be scooped out and tossed. It would be a low waste solution, without causing massive salt build-up in the soil.

Well, that would be pretty MacGyver. But I love to garden, and so the grey water aspect of this is appealing to me - and also something others could do easily with a planter. Despite lots of crazy foibles today, the Apex is starting to replace the Aquacontroller. Slowly... slowly... Now to shop for the planter.

Progress!

We have holes in the wall with recessed able receptacles. We next need to get he Dos hooked up.

Challenging discovery: we had to go through a shear wall and here is a gap between the drywall and shear wall, so we have to pass through all the cables before I can screw it in place.

I just went for a standard trough for this first go, but that means I need to DIY the reservoir/wick system. The good side to that is I can give some thought to whether or not to anticipate that a wick system will have a minor solar oven effect, or in some way leave behind some of the salt.

I'll also do some thoughtful measuring about how far away we can put the trough given the power of the Dos.

372a420c413da806f700fd6a2350d850.jpg

0c9dc625aaad26f8ad3704f4f191f00d.jpg

271acab2c1c82f5b996859d0833f6d40.jpg

We *just* got it set up! We've had a few logistical challenges, but I documented my water trough set-up. I'll keep you posted if our lantana lives or dies. :)

Back