High Tide Aquatics

Tunze 9001 skimmer

Been installed for 2 months on a Red Sea Max 130 34 gal.
water level sits about half inch below water mark on the tunze.

Has anybody got any DARK SKIM from this thing?
Im only getting a light green color water in the cup.
Cup fills about half way every day, it seems to be filling just water tho, no real skim or gunk.

The neck gets some gunk, needs to be cleaned about every 2 weeks or so.

Anyone?

How much and hope many times a day? You can try dry skimming buy raising the skimmer cup a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the gunk stays in the neck, my guess is the water level of the skimmer has to be risen a bit more so the skimmate overflows into the collection cup.
Is there a way for you to rise the water line in the bubble chamber?

You don’t have enough bio load. Reason why you get light skin but also get gunk in the neck. It surges and you get wet skim but skins too dry most of the time so the foam never reaches the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much and hope many times a day? You can try dry skimming buy raising the skimmer cup a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How much and hope many times a day?
I feed twice a day. with pellets I feed what they can eat without any left floating around. with frozen I feed a good amount so it gets to my corals as well.

You can try dry skimming buy raising the skimmer cup a bit
Ok, I'll pull the skimmer up a little bit more out of the water and see if that helps.

If the gunk stays in the neck, my guess is the water level of the skimmer has to be risen a bit more so the skimmate overflows into the collection cup.
Is there a way for you to rise the water line in the bubble chamber?
Ya the gunk stays in the neck but the cup fills with plenty water, I have to empty it daily.
So when you say water level of the skimmer has to be risen, do you mean raise the whole skimmer itself or lower it? because if I lower it to raise the water level inside the skimmer wouldn't that bring more water into the cup faster?

I agree that you don’t have enough of a bio load to get it really thick. When my tank was newer with fewer fish my skimate would be quite watery. I recently had to adjust my skimmer because I thought it was too thick. I’d let it go 2 weeks and it would only have about 1/2” in the cup. It was super dark and thick but my no3 and po4 were rising. I raised my water level an inch and it is more normal now.

Ya the gunk stays in the neck but the cup fills with plenty water, I have to empty it daily.
So when you say water level of the skimmer has to be risen, do you mean raise the whole skimmer itself or lower it? because if I lower it to raise the water level inside the skimmer wouldn't that bring more water into the cup faster?

Yup, lower the skimmer in the sump chamber so the water line inside the skimmer rises.
As some of the other guys suggest, if there's not enough bio-load (crap) then no gunk will reach inside the cup BUT if gunk,and plenty of it attaches to the neck, I still think the bubble chamber needs to have a higher water line. Now, if you have too much water going into the cup, conters what I think about the water line. Does your skimmer have an airline? Check for it to be unclogged, you may pour some RO water in it to dissolve any salt build up.

Back