Reef nutrition

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

2nd fish two days-suddenly diamond goby bit the dust today.
Very odd. No evident sign of disease. Sailfin had a rip in the fin-don't know if he would have made it if he didn't get caught in the wav pump. Could not see if goby had stopped eating but he was doing a good job on the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sad_smiley_face_classic_round_sticker-r364e0eed23d248b982dc0b717710afc1_v9wth_8byvr_324.jpg

Usually healthy fish don't get stuck in water pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Usually not! Sailfin had a rip in his sailfin that seemed to have interfered to do even basic navigational in a flow area. I wonder if we had put him in a safe area initially (after finding him plastered to the overflow) he would have survived if not crunched twice by the wav pumps after. Will never know.

As to the goby-no clue.

My personal guess-they were assassinated by Mr starry (blenny)-
The only thing they had in common were that they were both non-aggressive fish.
Both seemed quite viable until their demise with no markings of illness. It is, a puzzlement.

and now the two acroporas are dying off. I think the recent nitrate and phosphate jumps. Arrgh. They both went white pretty much at the same time so the assumption is water parameters. All other corals doing fine though.

Either test alk and salinity daily for a week or do a large water change.​
Salinity been constant around 34-35 per probe (which is about 1-2 above refractometer. Need to check alk but with continuous water changes it's >8
Still can you save a "dying" acro per se?

Need to find out why things are dieing.
What's your current water makes ng setup like? Specifically chlorine and chloramine removal?

Overdue for a chlorine/chloramine test but that all the inverts are doing ok I think that is not an issue and I would be surprised if it was with two carbon blocks going.

ALK is good at 8.7 dkh which was the same as last time. Phosphate not so good. First time I tested it came back at .1!!!! Retest due to smudge found on sample but still came back at .07 so there is that.

All other corals doing ok.
Sailfin died from injury to fin and then squashed by wav.
Goby unknown but believed assassinated as he was found in the other side of the tank that he never ventured.

Off to Randy to get some zoas and I think some chaeto. That and prob a good water change should help phosphate.

My PO4 was super high. I had a couple fish die and did a 70% WC then checked my PO4 and it was at like 0.45 and that was after the water change. I've continued to bring it down but it's still sitting at 0.25. That being said, yes, your PO4 is elevated but I'm not sure it would be enough to kill your fish.

Overdue for a chlorine/chloramine test but that all the inverts are doing ok I think that is not an issue and I would be surprised if it was with two carbon blocks going.

ALK is good at 8.7 dkh which was the same as last time. Phosphate not so good. First time I tested it came back at .1!!!! Retest due to smudge found on sample but still came back at .07 so there is that.

All other corals doing ok.
Sailfin died from injury to fin and then squashed by wav.
Goby unknown but believed assassinated as he was found in the other side of the tank that he never ventured.

Off to Randy to get some zoas and I think some chaeto. That and prob a good water change should help phosphate.

If you need more zoas (or other corals) let me know, we have some to spare.

Thanks Mark-after that Mohawk zoa-we will see!
Hopefully we will start fragging some mushrooms soon. We have one just getting huge.

Back