KLEMS SCA 50g cube

MG- 1320...need to add
CA- 460....good
ALK- 9.8....ok
NO3- 5.0....ok
PO4- .15....want it lower
(Will add some NoPox to get these down)
SG- 1.026....want to lower to 1.025

Clam not responding all the time to shading of light....rest of corals seems nice and happy.
What do you mean that the clam isn't responding? Is it not extending its mantle?

It is expanding it's mantle...it just doesn't close up real fast when I shade the light from it....the first couple of days it did every time my hand blocked the light

Well, this morning it wasn't expanding it's mantle very much...and when I got home this afternoon it was retracted into the shell...with the shell open....I saw two snails on the mantle which I removed....then I noticed that foot...when I went to inspect, it appears as though the foot has been detached / dropped. (I read some reviews online that they can do this...and it's OK....but mine doesn't look OK)

Should I leave it for a few day and see what happens...or should I remove it before it starts decaying?

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_145115110.jpg
    IMG_20170928_145115110.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20170928_145914072.jpg
    IMG_20170928_145914072.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20170928_151433881.jpg
    IMG_20170928_151433881.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20170928_151449030_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170928_151449030_HDR.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 262
Those look like they could be pyramidal snails. Not sure what your 3rd pic is. Is that his foot detached from the snail? If so things are not looking good.

Btw, Maximas need strong lighting, and if it falls over, the mantle doesn't get enough light for photosynthesis. Small clams may also need supplemental feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of those tiny snails looks like a pyramid...but the other looks round. The fourth picture is the food that was on the bottom of the clam laying on the flat Rock.

This is a pic of the bottom of the clam now

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_155236459.jpg
    IMG_20170928_155236459.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 243
If the clam is gaped open like that with the mantle retracted, that's no good. If the foot is detached that's also not a good sign. I have never seen mine like that. It may be dead/dying. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'd have to agree. Not looking good. Healthy clams should have their mantles out and open when sufficient light is out and should have a rapid response to any light shading (e.g., hand blocking the light). Wish I had a better/happier opinion than @Gablami, but I think he's correct.

I figured as much..... Will take a look at it later tonight and pull it out if it doesn't look any better or the CUC start their buffet line...

I'd leave it in there until you know it's gone....Life has a way of surviving sometimes. I have an elegance coral that lost every single tentacle and looked like it was on its deathbed, but somehow it's making a comeback and growing them back slowly.

Got home and took a look t it with my camera flashlight....saw a nassarius snail all up inside the guts....gonna toss it out tomorrow morning

So here is a video of m funeral this morning...I did add some pods from Algea barn about 3 weeks ago....buy some of these critters look HUGE now....is that normal?

The larger ones are amphipods, quite normal and healthy to have in your refugium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve only seen the amphipods in my sump. Either they aren’t making their way to the last chamber to get sucked up the return to the dt, or they are getting eaten as soon as they make it up there.

For me they are mostly in the refugium for sure, but sometimes I see a few in the display tank when it’s dark at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I rarely saw my amphipods in the DT, by the refugium was always full.

I’m actually looking for a good source of amphipods right now.

Back