Kessil

kinetic Reefer 170

No one likes posting pictures when the tank isn’t looking good, but a picture might help to identify the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No one likes posting pictures when the tank isn’t looking good, but a picture might help to identify the problem.

Not proud, but here it is. Phosophates are still low, but I think maybe that's because all the GUNK is eating it all =) I didn't realize how few test regeants Hanna includes with their ULR checker, so I'm now totally out. I'll order some this week, or maybe I can run to a LFS for some more.

Animals seem to be ok. Some of my trochus snails are climbing out of the tank, but I think that's normal. No heavy "breathing" from the fish, BTA looks full and healthy.

37138712564_4c857d1e9a_b.jpg

37590923210_2a82f447c7_b.jpg

It was already bad before the clownfish went in, but it just kept getting worse progressively. Seems like mornings are the least cloudy, evenings it becomes impossible to see through to the back of the tank or into the caves.

Color is brown / green. I did a few large water changes, and the water in the white bucket was brownish green (more brown). I do have my usual brown algae film on the glass and a bit on the rocks, but that's it.

When did you stop the nopox, before or after the cloudiness? Plenty of people have cloudiness after starting nopox, from bacteria blooms. Also if you stop nopox suddenly, you'll get a big die off of bacteria which can lead to some algae blooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When did you stop the nopox, before or after the cloudiness? Plenty of people have cloudiness after starting nopox, from bacteria blooms. Also if you stop nopox suddenly, you'll get a big die off of bacteria which can lead to some algae blooms.

I stopped a couple weeks before, but only for 5 day’s because my phos/nitrates started to grow pretty quick. Could be a overdosed on NoPox? I haven’t dosed in a week since it started getting cloudy.

Is your skimmer running?

Edit, never mind, read earlier that it is. I remember that @Flagg37 had experience like this with his tank early on. Maybe he can chime in as to what helped.

Is your skimmer running?

Edit, never mind, read earlier that it is. I remember that @Flagg37 had experience like this with his tank early on. Maybe he can chime in as to what helped.

I’ll have two skimmers tomorrow! I was going to test the noise levels, but might be interesting to just run both at the same time!

@kinetic Don't know where you are. I have Hanna UL phos packets if you need but can't access until Mon morning in Pleasant Hill.
Thanks a ton Maureen! I should be receiving the new packets on Wednesday, so I'll be OK. Since my phosphates haven't changed at all in the past week, I think I'm just going to stop testing until I get the new packets of regeant in. It is clearly not phosphates or anything else I'm checking that's creating the weird imbalance.

So I don't know. It's just bacteria I guess. I'm crossing my fingers the UV Sterilizer I get will do SOMETHING. @ashburn2k says it might not work. Others say to just wait it out (but it's literally getting worse by the hour).

Just did another big water change today. Water semi-cleared up, but within an hour I can no longer see my rock again. It's like it just spreads immediately.

The water I pull out is brown.

I think maybe it smells a bit like wheat grass? But that might just be from my skimmer, to be honest.

So here's the plan:
  1. UV Sterilizer (9 watt green killing machine) on 24/7
  2. 15 gallon water changes every day
  3. Continue to NOT dose anything
Let's hope this works...

Try take out the sponge

Which one are you referring to? I just have the bubble trap one in the sump, and the aquamaxx and brs sponges. I guess I could take them all out?

To add to the tank problems, now my Maxspect XF-130 controller seems to be acting up. It only does 100% power on a 3 second pulse mode. No matter what I try to set it at. Haha. Poor tank. Sent a ticket off to Coralvue to see what's up. I'm suspecting the controller is fried. The pump is fine, took it apart and everything is in order. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Coralvue says I need a new controller, but since I bought the pump in 2015 warranty is up, even though I just installed it new. Moral of the story, don't buy a pump just because it's on sale to use it way later.

Back