Kessil

kinetic Reefer 170

Looks like algae bloom. Not sure if you have already done this, but test the parameter when the lights on and few hours after it’s off to see if there’s significant difference in the reading. I think running uv will help.

Looks like algae bloom. Not sure if you have already done this, but test the parameter when the lights on and few hours after it’s off to see if there’s significant difference in the reading. I think running uv will help.

Oh interesting. I don't have anymore phosphate regeants, should be here on Wednesday. Once I get those packets I'll do the tests. I usually do them with the lights on, but I can definitely wait a few hours after the lights are off to see what's up. What should I be seeing? A lot more phos/nitrates? Also, my algae reactor runs on a reverse photoperiod. I'm guessing I should just shut that off too before taking the reading?

I had a xf150 and bought a xf250 and it was a huge difference in size. I assume the xf130 and xf230 is different too. The specs are similar though. That's from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a xf150 and bought a xf250 and it was a huge difference in size. I assume the xf130 and xf230 is different too. The specs are similar though. That's from my experience.

Oh that's interesting. From the specs, it's the same for 130 and 230, but I'm not too worried about that. It'll still fit if I got another pump. I'm thinking of running it reverse of my current one and doing it async to create a true reverse gyre at some interval during the day...

Oh interesting. I don't have anymore phosphate regeants, should be here on Wednesday. Once I get those packets I'll do the tests. I usually do them with the lights on, but I can definitely wait a few hours after the lights are off to see what's up. What should I be seeing? A lot more phos/nitrates? Also, my algae reactor runs on a reverse photoperiod. I'm guessing I should just shut that off too before taking the reading?

Algae thrives with lights, so you should be getting a higher reading phos/nitrates, if it is algae bloom. Since you are running an algae reactor on reversed period, I am curious does the water get progressively cloudier through out the day?

Bacterial or Algae bloom does not really matter.

It is an input/output problem with organics.
Output = skimming and water changes.
Input = organics in sand, organics in rock, and feeding.

Eventually, the organics in the sand and rock will stop leaching out.

Key: Do not over feed.
Check carefully, those few clownfish need very little.

Clean:
* Siphon sand bed
Or even siphon sand out, clean it like crazy in a bucket, and put it back.
* Clean rocks
Remove, power wash, soak, return

Or: Keep up the big water changes. Run skimmer wet. Probably for a couple of months.

Important:
Lights out, UV, and algaecides will not really fix the problem.
They kill the bloom, but leave the organics, so are only temporary.

Bacterial or Algae bloom does not really matter.

It is an input/output problem with organics.
Output = skimming and water changes.
Input = organics in sand, organics in rock, and feeding.

Eventually, the organics in the sand and rock will stop leaching out.

Key: Do not over feed.
Check carefully, those few clownfish need very little.

Clean:
* Siphon sand bed
Or even siphon sand out, clean it like crazy in a bucket, and put it back.
* Clean rocks
Remove, power wash, soak, return

Or: Keep up the big water changes. Run skimmer wet. Probably for a couple of months.

Important:
Lights out, UV, and algaecides will not really fix the problem.
They kill the bloom, but leave the organics, so are only temporary.
Oh boy, starting a new tank sounds easier than this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think there's proof that organics are leaching out.

I siphon and blast rocks all the time, nothing comes off of them that's visible. Tank hasn't had poop long enough for anything to accumulate.

Even before the cloudiness, parameters were basically near zero, so I don't think anything leached. My rock was cycling for a good amount of time before putting it in the tank. Everything started dead/dry, so unless marcorock truly absorbed a ton of phosphate, it's probably fine. But even though, there really isn't enough other type of algae growing to say phosphates would be higher than normal. I can't imagine algae in the water column out competing regular surface algae (I only have a thin film of brown algae on the glass every 3 - 4 days).

I've had 2 tanks with marcorocks in the past, never had this issue.

My #1 guess is I was way overdosing NoPox, and now all those bacteria are having a feast now that there has been a source of both carbon and nitrate/phosphates.

I dosed based on the recommended amount from Red Sea's reef mature kit, but reading everyone else's experience, I was dosing almost 4x the amount of a well established tank of the same size (whereas I only had 1 fish eating 3 mysis a day and 1 bta that wasn't eating).

I'm guessing that was the source, and now I need to deal with that either by waiting forever or doing massive water changes and getting a UV sterilizer.

I'll know more once I run the UV sterilizer to see if that helps. Going to stick with the plan, but today I'm doing a 90% water change.

One more post, thank you all again for the input and kind help! Coming back to the hobby has reminded me the best part about it are the people who share the same interest (or obsession... addiction?).

Crossing my fingers I can get this damn water cleared up soon ;)

Did a 30 gallon water change.

Here it is before. It was so cloudy I couldn't even focus
37175680463_0d277247cd_b.jpg

Here it is with about 25 gallons out. The remaining 5 gallons I took from the sump so that the fish had a little water left:
37175680313_3d1cf08ca7_b.jpg

Damn this water is so brown:
24043364128_f01c23a2a4_b.jpg

After I turned the return back on for about 30 minutes:
37864712832_8f55484818_b.jpg

I think it got a bit worse in the last 6 hours, but maybe that's just the water cycling.

The 9 watt Green Killing Machine came, so I hooked that right up and have it running in the sump. The pump is so loud, I think there's air trapped in it, hopefully it'll clear up.

New NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer came today too. The decibels read about the same as the Simplicity, but the noise that it outputs is way less audible to me than the Simplicity sound. The sound is a quiet, low, hum. The simplicity sounded like, well, the Green machine pump with a bunch of air in it.

Pretty happy. The NYOS has a really fine tuned wedge pipe adjustment, and almost no air sound. The air bubbles seem to be way more and denser than the Simplicity as well. I'm keeping it.

It looks similar to what I went through soon after my tank was running.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/in-the-beginning.19053/page-10

I noticed it starting feb 11 and it cleared up on its own on feb 20. I tried several things and nothing seemed to help. I just had to wait it out. I monitored all the livestock pretty closely to make sure they weren’t showing signs of stress (which they weren’t). I figured if they weren’t stressed I wouldn’t stress out either. I just chalk it up to things on the microbial level finding a good homeostasis.

Reactions: JVU
When I've seen the bacterial bloom in the past I have used a floculant and mechanical filtration. The floculant grabs the suspended particles (bacteria) and makes it so they can be collected via filter sock or pad. Won't solve the issue immediately or permanently for sure on the first try, but should help a lot.
Can't remember the brand I used. Maybe Kent marine?

When I've seen the bacterial bloom in the past I have used a floculant and mechanical filtration. The floculant grabs the suspended particles (bacteria) and makes it so they can be collected via filter sock or pad. Won't solve the issue immediately or permanently for sure on the first try, but should help a lot.
Can't remember the brand I used. Maybe Kent marine?
You can have the rest of mine. I only used a little. I didn’t think it did anything but you’re welcome to try it.

Back