Kessil

The 40

I have a tank lying around that I want to start a journal for. This will be a SPS dominant tank with a minimalist approach. I'm going to bare bottom and going to have a wrasse in there to take care of any pests that I might come across (even after Bayer dipping and Seachem Reef Dip, some still inevitably make it through). Question: Is pyrex safe for reef tanks? I'm going to put sand in it for the wrasses.

Why barebottom?
You could go with Pseudocheilinus wrasses which don’t require sand and are great at controlling certain pests.

Note that you can also go "reef bottom" also.
Buy starboard or acrylic that fits the bottom.
Then use epoxy or concrete with sand and rock rubble to essentially create a full live-rock bottom on the plastic.
Then just drip it. Add a bit of sand to cover any edges or joints.

Many advantages of bare bottom, without the weird look.

What he's trying to say is there are many species of wrasse that don't need sand. In a forty gallon tank you're actually even better off with a few of the Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus wrasses.) Most only get 3-4 inches, many are very peaceful and they don't burrow.

What he's trying to say is there are many species of wrasse that don't need sand. In a forty gallon tank you're actually even better off with a few of the Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus wrasses.) Most only get 3-4 inches, many are very peaceful and they don't burrow.

IMO
Many wrasses in the genus Cirrhilabrus such as ones in the Cyanopluera, rubriventralis, and scottorum complexes will require a larger tank, as they get rather large and aggressive.
However, as mentioned above Pseudocheilinops ataenia or any Wetmorella wrasse would be suitable as they stay small, do not burrow, and are rather peaceful.

Last edited:
IMO
Many wrasses in the genus Cirrhilabrus such as ones in the Cyanopluera, rubriventralis, and scottorum complexes will require a larger tank, as they get rather large and aggressive.
However, as mentioned above Pseudocheilinops ataenia or any Wetmorella wrasse would be suitable as they stay small, do not burrow, and are rather peaceful.

That's why I qualified with the Fairly wrasses. They do stay small and are for the most part peaceful. There's lots of them to choose from too.

Good chart:
Wrasse chart[1].png

The only Cirrhilabrus wrasse I would recommend to a 40 gallon would be C. earlei.
All others will eventually outgrow the system.

The only Cirrhilabrus wrasse I would recommend to a 40 gallon would be C. earlei.
All others will eventually outgrow the system.

Ignoring the price of those how large do they get? Many of the other Cirrhilabrus (ie Flames, Lubbocks and others) stay under four inches don't they?

Ignoring the price of those how large do they get? Many of the other Cirrhilabrus (ie Flames, Lubbocks and others) stay under four inches don't they?

C. earlei generally stay under 4 inches but are - IME - less active swimmers than C. jordani, lubbocki, bathyphilus, etc which are more active/aggressive and therefore require more space.

Back