got ethical husbandry?

Why is my sand clumping??

Klems

Supporting Member
Started the tank earlier this year with some large size live sand. Have been dosing BRS 2 part...and now sections of my sand are clumping together in large almost rock like formations. Is there a way to fix this? Some pieces have solidified under the rock structure...need advice on how to fix or deal with it.

Bad picture with all the blue, but my finger is where the rock ends and it's literally 2-3 inches past the edge of the rock...

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20171105_080033113.jpg
    IMG_20171105_080033113.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 273
If I can reduce my dosing, will that fix the sand clumping over time...or do I need to manually break it up or replace it?

I do have 3 or 4 nassarius snails and a fighting conch to move the sandbed...

I had that problem in a big way a few years back. Had to basically chisel it out with a chunk of plastic.
As above, keep CA reasonable, Mg up, and add more sand moving critters.
Replace it.

If I can reduce my dosing, will that fix the sand clumping over time...or do I need to manually break it up or replace it?

I do have 3 or 4 nassarius snails and a fighting conch to move the sandbed...

Can’t help you unless you give us those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ca level would confirm that.
My Ca is really high and I don't see that.
Increase flow may help or stiring sand slightly before doing water change

ALK= 9.1
CA= 440
MAG= 1460

Using the Reefkeeper I was dosing ~5.5ml of CA and ALK(soda ash) 10 times throughout the day...

Should I reduce it down to 3.3ml's every 2 hrs?

Last edited:
How much 2 part are you dosing?

The mag is not too bad but if you are dosing a lot that could cause the issue.

I had that problem in a big way a few years back. Had to basically chisel it out with a chunk of plastic.
As above, keep CA reasonable, Mg up, and add more sand moving critters.
Replace it.
What other critters should I get? More nassarius and fighting conch....or something different?

Have tried to break up the clumps of sand I can get to...most of it in the back against the overflow is not accessible. But I was able to get most of the other pieces ground up... hopefully it will allow the nassarius and conch better access

Calcium is not as freely soluble as the other major elements in NSW. It’s solubility will depend significantly on alk and pH. If you’re pH is high, it would definitely start to crash out. I would remove the clumps since they will not dissolve at reef pH levels. Then I would lower your target Ca++ levels by just a bit.

I reduced my calcium by 20ml's over the course of the day and after checking it today it is still around 460...so should I keep checking for the next week, and if it stays the same does that conclude why the sand was clumping?

I did notice my ALK has dropped from ~9 to ~8.....can I increase my ALK dose up a bit or should I keep it exactly the same as the CA?

Back