Jestersix

To frag or not to frag necrotic acro's

You have a equal chance of recovery if you cut or leave it alone.

How are you testing?
Alk tests are much more precise than P04 tests, and I distrust that your P04 went up that much that quickly, while I can believe that your alk dropped that quickly. For SPS I consider Alk to the be most important parameter to stay on top of.

I have been testing the alk at night around the same time. Same result over a couple of days and yes it seems much more reliable than the PO4 test.

I tested PO4 last night and it came in at .09 which I find to be more credible. I think the previous test I did not let the reagent settle long enough (didn’t have a watch or timer). Will test again later for both and then do a water change of 10% give or take. And then get to work on that alk!

So when is that machine coming out from Neptune that tests alk, Ca/Mg and can dose for you??? Although was informed it will be prob 1k or so.

LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.09 is still solid IMO. My tank has never gone below .05. And yep that big gap was 2 months between tests :D

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 3.09.47 PM.png

.09 is still solid IMO. My tank has never gone below .05. And yep that big gap was 2 months between tests :D

View attachment 8376
RandyC gave me some chaeto and it grew like the blob and did a great job of getting PO4 to zero!!
Then I had to go and muck things up by pruning it and sticking it within a container to prevent it from getting into pumps/protein skimmer.
It is growing slowly but the light is not directly on it like it was before.
May just take the lid off the sump and see if that works better for a few days.

I buy in bulk from aquatic collection or amazon. Believe it's just food grade soda ash. I dilute 381 grams with enough water to fill a gallon bottle and use that for dosing. I imagine you would only need maybe10-20 ml per day with your water changes.
An easier but more expensive option is to buy bionic 2 part alk and ca. It is more concentrated but more expensive.
80d5bcd6981ce0013faba7c484b28c40.jpg

Arm&hammer do the trick?

You can use Arm and Hammer but you need to put it in the oven for a while (not the chemist of the club) to turn it into Soda Ash.
Costco has the large bag, believe it to be 5lb for very cheap compared to the small fridge size boxes.

You can use Arm and Hammer but you need to put it in the oven for a while (not the chemist of the club) to turn it into Soda Ash.
Costco has the large bag, believe it to be 5lb for very cheap compared to the small fridge size boxes.
Thanks! Didn’t realize you had to do that.
I was actually just reading this link

http://www.poolspanews.com/how-to/maintenance/soda-ash-vs-baking-soda_o

Quite useful. That the ph also needs a small kick in the pants -soda ash seems the way to go.

I love this forum . Everyone here is quite helpful. Would have prob killed the livestock by now if it wasn’t for the advice here.

You don’t have to turn baking soda (NaHCO3) to soda ash (Na2CO3). I just dose it as baking soda. They will both drive alkalinity equally. The only difference is that baking soda will not really change pH. Also, Baking soda is only half as soluble as soda ash.

Oddly enough after ~10% water change, alk seems stubbornly near it was 6.7 dkh. I thought maybe I received some bad reagent from Hanna but the NSW came in at 10.75 dkh.
On the flip side, the PO4 came down to .04.

Soda ash it is!

May have to go with sodium bicarbonate solution to raise it enough w/o spiking the ph from 6.7 to 8 alk and then from there revert back to the ash perhaps

Just increase it slowly over time. You could probably go a little faster but I usually shoot for no more than 0.1dkh/day. If it dropped suddenly then the damage is already done. A sudden increase will do it again.

Back