Kessil

Help-Dealing with Tank Seal Leak

I wouldn't go so crazy trying to find where the leak is if you're simply replacing if there's a leak. Just put paper towels around the perimeter and carefully fill it with water, if paper towels are wet, then you got a leak.

Issue is there is leftover moisture between bottom center brace and glass. I like the idea of using food coloring so i dont have to wait till moisture dries.

Will go get the food coloring tomorrow.

@scuzy
I put in 1.5" of water with green food coloring from walmart. There might be a bit water coming out but so little that I can't tell for sure.

Plan to add more water, but concerned if the food coloring can be washed off easily from glass (at least over some time)? Do you know?

If unsure, I may vaccumm the colored water out and add fresh tap water back in to say 12" tall.

This green water caught by plastic sheet proves there is a leak at the bottom seam somewhere.

What do you guys think between Red Sea Reefer (thinking a 525 or 625) and Crystal Dynamics?

Also debating if I should get the lights and holders (Hydra 26 I believe) from Red Sea. I have a few used AI Vega and Hydra 52 non HD. I heard they don't sell just the light holders.

Does Red Sea Reefer use bean animal (preferred) or herbie setup? I will look for a tank to check out in person.

Leak Photo.jpg

I don't think the Red Sea unit uses a bean animal, that would require a 3 drain holes and I don't know any "standard" tanks that do that.

As for the RSR or Crystal Dynamics, I might inquire to both, the thing is at that size the RSR price is probably more than a custom tank from CD, although it does come as a complete system w/stand (not sure if you can get just the tank), the other side of that is if you're using the same stand or have a fairly standard size tank save a lot of money and go with mass produced tank.

That said, you'll be happy with both the RSR or CD tanks I'm sure.

I will have to get a new stand. The old stand was built for fresh water setup with narrow door that sump longer than 29” can not go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This green water caught by plastic sheet proves there is a leak at the bottom seam somewhere.

What do you guys think between Red Sea Reefer (thinking a 525 or 625) and Crystal Dynamics?

Also debating if I should get the lights and holders (Hydra 26 I believe) from Red Sea. I have a few used AI Vega and Hydra 52 non HD. I heard they don't sell just the light holders.

Does Red Sea Reefer use bean animal (preferred) or herbie setup? I will look for a tank to check out in person.

View attachment 8385

It has a full siphon, emergency and a return plumbed in the overflow section.

It has a full siphon, emergency and a return plumbed in the overflow section.

Bean Animal set up has an extra down pipe, where trickle of water goes down. This pipe helps minimize noise as well as increase the tolerance of full siphon pipe to change in water level.

With that, I am curious:
1. How does Red Sea Reefer system minimize water noise?
2. How well does the full siphon pipe tolerate change in water level (e.g. in response to change in valves, or gph from return pump)?

Regards,
Julius

They have a muffler type device over the full siohon, but if you have a full siphon going down with no air, it is completely silent as long as nothing is tickling down emergency. You have a little wiggle room with return pump volume changes, but not much. I do have to fiddle with the diaphragm valve they have on the system every so often and open it up otherwise is starts tickling down emergency. I have seen a number of people on forums replace the diaphragm valve with a Spears gate valve.

The most annoying sound I get with reefer is the waterfall sound from their filter sock design when they get a little bit clogged up.

RSR has a herbie style drain. So one main, with a silencer, and an emergency. Main drain has a valve that you tune such that the drain is silent.

If you want to setup the tank pretty quick without much tinkering with plumbing and sump design, the RSR is probably the way to go. Compared to my old ELOS setup, everything in the RSR is to my liking. Sump config, bubble traps, etc.

The valve on the drain is kind of tricky, not as fine tuned as a nice gate valve, but it works well enough. Just don't expect to get it dialed in within a few minutes. I turned the valve to a pretty good spot, then adjusted every 15 minutes or so. Since I got it set, I haven't had to touch it since.

Otherwise, I think you'd be pretty happy with it. Oh, the ATO reservoir / setup is kind of a joke though, so just get your own reservoir / ato setup.

You can also look into the peninsula tank. You can run it like any 'ol tank, but the overflow is on the side instead of the back. My preference is for a clear back tank. The non-peninsula tanks have a smoked glass overflow. The backing is vinyl and easily removable, or looks good kept on if you like that look.

Another option are Waterbox tanks. Specifications are similar to Red Sea Reefers. I like them because they have more external overflows than internal, so it frees up space and doesn't create strange corners. Their black backgrounds are painted I believe, so you can't remove them. That was the dealbreaker for me.

Thinking red sea 525 or 625, also open to crystal dynamics.

i love ghost flow and bean animal drain setup both avail in crystal dynamics tanks, instead of red sea’s overflow box inside tank and herbie setup.

Crystal dynamics has eurobraced tank, where a diy screen top can sit on the reccessed glass lip around and inside the tank, thus top edge of glass looks clean. How does red sea rimless owners deal with this? A screen sitting on top edge of glass?

I can get red sea setup at listed price without sales tax, but have to either pickup at lfs, or pay extra (heard that could be hundreds of $) for offloading at my curb. Wondering if any store you used can do no extra charge here.

RS tanks are great if you don’t want to deal with plumbing or getting a stand or figuring out sump options. Also limits you in the same 3 things.

CDA tanks are awesome if you are looking for custom dimensions.

You can also contact Keith Grandt in Sacramento. I’m not sure if he is still making tanks but his tanks are also beautifully made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking red sea 525 or 625, also open to crystal dynamics.

i love ghost flow and bean animal drain setup both avail in crystal dynamics tanks, instead of red sea’s overflow box inside tank and herbie setup.

Crystal dynamics has eurobraced tank, where a diy screen top can sit on the reccessed glass lip around and inside the tank, thus top edge of glass looks clean. How does red sea rimless owners deal with this? A screen sitting on top edge of glass?

I can get red sea setup at listed price without sales tax, but have to either pickup at lfs, or pay extra (heard that could be hundreds of $) for offloading at my curb. Wondering if any store you used can do no extra charge here.

Check my build thread. The rimless tank lids usually have tabs that sit on top of the rim that brace it above. Mine was custom by OctoAquatics. You can also get the Red Sea one and customize it for cheap.

If you don't like the internal overflow, Waterbox has a ghost flow / external overflow. IMO going with waterbox, red sea, etc. would be good unless you wanted a very custom dimension. These are all really well setup and you'd probably not need much else. If something about them really bugs you, then definitely go for a custom.

Back