Cali Kid Corals

easy coral

Completely agree with tankguy. Anything easy, is easy for a good reason, they'll become a PITA.

The best looking while easy (hard to kill) would probably be a toadstool coral. Softy so not much light is required. Haven't done a water change in 1+ year and its still going. Don't follow in my footsteps though!

What I don't know much about is dosing of chemicals to keep mag/cal adequate. Been trying to find an informative thread about coral demands of cal/Maggie so I can understand at what point I need to start dosing while still doing water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You dont have to dose anything if you do weekly 20-30% WC till you add sps. In small tanks thats pretty doable. Once you start thinking about growing acros or something harder, start measuring you alk/ca/mg and do two parts. This is pretty much my first two years. You definitely dont need to dose with softies or even some lps.

You dont have to dose anything if you do weekly 20-30% WC till you add sps. In small tanks thats pretty doable. Once you start thinking about growing acros or something harder, start measuring you alk/ca/mg and do two parts. This is pretty much my first two years. You definitely dont need to dose with softies or even some lps.

Interesting. I assumed all require high level of monitoring.

Be very judicious when adding coral in your tank. You do not have much room and some of those corals will easily over take the tank.

Gramma, Assessors, dottyback(last fish to add), fitefish (helfrichis are my favorite), blennies and gobies.

My very first coral was a torch. That’s what I’d recommend to someone too. Just get a generic one.

My 30 gallon was pretty full before I had to start dosing. Just add stuff slowly and you’ll get the hang of things as you go along. Alk, Ca, and Mg are the three you’ll eventually will want to test for with alk being arguably the most important of the three but you’ll not likely need to test for some time if you’re adding slowly and doing water changes.

On a small tank and until you have a lot of SPS (which will be a long time down the road if ever) you don't need to dose as long as you're doing easy water changes. I don't believe you have the lights to support SPS anyway. My recommendation for a new small tank is look for Euphyllias you like to start. They are bright, fairly easy and have a lot of movement. The a month or so down the road some stuff for the sand bed too -- plates, lobo's, trachs, etc. Also, I think Ashburn has a bunch of Ora Neon Candy Canes that are a great starter. If you are a Mushroom fan they are an awesome early coral. I can get you some Neon Toadstool as well.

On a small tank and until you have a lot of SPS (which will be a long time down the road if ever) you don't need to dose as long as you're doing easy water changes. I don't believe you have the lights to support SPS anyway. My recommendation for a new small tank is look for Euphyllias you like to start. They are bright, fairly easy and have a lot of movement. The a month or so down the road some stuff for the sand bed too -- plates, lobo's, trachs, etc. Also, I think Ashburn has a bunch of Ora Neon Candy Canes that are a great starter. If you are a Mushroom fan they are an awesome early coral. I can get you some Neon Toadstool as well.
Why you think so? I think he can, from the PAR values as mentioned here: http://nanoboxreef.com/duo.html and from the experience of many many nano-reef build threads,

Those PAR readings appear to be "air readings." However, I don't know for sure if they will or won't. Just never heard of anyone using them, but there may be plenty of folks that are. Plus I admit I'm a light snob.

@jorahx4 doesnt look like your Tapatalk account is using the same username as your BAR user name. You became a supporting member right? Once you've been a member for two months, you'll have access to the club's PAR meter and you can see what that nano box can put out.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/borrowing-the-clubs-par-meter.13871/

Yeah I did the support thing, didn't realize my account was different or something. Been just using my phone as I'm out of town. When I get home tonight I'll try to correct it.

Decided to take some pictures of my few corals today. They seem pretty happy.

6b695dd640f2f3dbcea58de81cd86a52.jpg

c43a0fab56207669d8fe6cc13807db3f.jpg

8cc2ae39ad1d6de538374226aac0270b.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. I generally like to remove the frag plug that it came on while I do my dip process. There’s quite a few pests that like to hitchhike on them.

Looks pretty good to me. I generally like to remove the frag plug that it came on while I do my dip process. There’s quite a few pests that like to hitchhike on them.

id like to do that too, but i dont have a band saw or some sort of tool to remove the plug.

Back