High Tide Aquatics

Clownfish hatch

Hi,

Today I noticed my clowns laid eggs on the glass and caring for it. My tank is not set to support fry and I wonder how to save some out possible without special setup:

5946b2d4a5d49d0effea9993b3ae2e7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need a special setup. Not sure how else to put it. Lots of research and threads can be found across the internet about how to keep them. It's fun, but quite a bit of work.

It does require a some special set up. 7 to 8 days after the clutch is laid we remove the eggs to a hatch tank with fine bubbles across the eggs completely blacked out (be sure to cover the light on the heater as the fry will head to the light and cook themselves). We hatch in 10 to 20 gallon tank depending on the clutch size. The morning after the hatch you need to tint the water green (protects the fry from the light in the tank) with PhytoPlankton we use RG Complete from Reed. You need rotifers for the first 5 to 7 days after that we feed Reef Nutrition TDO. After 10 days it gets easy. Vacuum the bottom of the tank and 25% water changes every couple days.
With that being a first clutch it is very small and over the next 7 to 8 days the parents will likely lose most of the eggs. On day 7 or 8 the eggs will all be silver (the silver is the fry's eyes). Half an hour to an hour after the light go out the hatch will begin. I have heard you can use a flashlight ( the fry are attracted to light) the pull the fry to an area of the tank and remove them from the tank into an tank to take care of them.

If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:
I have become happy to leave raising fry to experts like Kim, and just be grateful for the extra live food in the tank once every month or so thanks to the clownfish.

Back