Kessil

Seahorse help

Hey everyone,

Thinking about starting a seahorse tank, I would love any tips and tricks from you guys. Correct me if any of my current knowledge is wrong.

So far, I've read:

Tall tanks are best!
Feed multiple times a day,
Center the tank around the seahorses, I.E. Don't toss them in my current reef,
Captive bred is best!
Low-ish flow,
Need a hitching post

Ok guys, I think I'm going to start off with the dwarves! Now my question is, do I buy a bare 5 gal and keep it real simple, or take my 10 gal and partition 4 gals off for overflow. Hmmmmmmm

when i was looking to get one the guys at Manhattan reefs told me to first choose the species i wanted (captive bred) and it would be better to do a only seahorse tank and/or pipefish cause they are hard to feed (2x a day) the tank would be low flow, tank mates will be somewhat specific(blennies, firefish) like the food they eat(mysis shrimp). the info is out there but from what ive seen is that seahorse=seahorse tank and what that species demands. there really cool but to needy for me.

Ok guys, I think I'm going to start off with the dwarves! Now my question is, do I buy a bare 5 gal and keep it real simple, or take my 10 gal and partition 4 gals off for overflow. Hmmmmmmm

Well, just in case ( and I just remembered) you decide for a bigger, in the tall side tank,
I happen to have a hex plexi tank, black back. I could not find purpose for it other than a nice ATO reservoir with an odd shape for such.

Well, just in case ( and I just remembered) you decide for a bigger, in the tall side tank,
I happen to have a hex plexi tank, black back. I could not find purpose for it other than a nice ATO reservoir with an odd shape for such.
That sounds like it would be great for seahorses.

I'd definitely like to check out that tank if I decide to try out the bigger seahorses.

So my current idea is to turn my 10 gallon into a peninsula style aio, with the first chamber being skimmer and heater, second chamber fuge, 3 chamber return pump. i'll fiddle around with this project on my next days off this week

CAM01603.jpg

Back