Jestersix

For all those who worked or went to the market...

I think one thing that would have been better would be to bring a few hangers and hang the shirts up instead of taping them to the table...

I liked having the banner. It felt more official and gave more presence to the booth. @Kim Pattison did an awesome job bringing people in. I think the frag pack did it’s job. Last CFM I talked to many people and they all said the same, “sounds great, I’ll have to check it out”. But I don’t think any of them became supporting members. I don’t know what the final tally was for sign ups but I know for sure it was more than at the last one. I think it really helped to incentivize signing up right then and there. It also helped having a large group of volunteers. There was never a time (that I saw) where there was only one person manning it.

Oh, I was thinking, maybe make the frag pack a members only raffle. So people that are already members have a chance at it but it still incentivizes new people to sign up too. Just a thought.

Reactions: JVU
I liked having the banner. It felt more official and gave more presence to the booth. @Kim Pattison did an awesome job bringing people in. I think the frag pack did it’s job. Last CFM I talked to many people and they all said the same, “sounds great, I’ll have to check it out”. But I don’t think any of them became supporting members. I don’t know what the final tally was for sign ups but I know for sure it was more than at the last one. I think it really helped to incentivize signing up right then and there. It also helped having a large group of volunteers. There was never a time (that I saw) where there was only one person manning it.

Not sure of the final tallies are since Arnold was busy and knocked himself out all day at the booth. But roughly we got twelve new sign-ups. Less than I hoped, but I have some ideas how to increase that. Still that makes it a marginal success to me.

Then somewhere around $300.00 in raffle dollars which is more than twice the last show. Again -- I think we can do better and have a few ideas now that I see how this works.

Sounds like we sold a lot of shirts too.

Last edited:
Not sure of the final tallies are since Arnold was busy and knocked himself out all day at the booth. But roughly we got ten new sigh-ups. Less than I hoped, but I have some ideas how to increase that. Still that makes it a marginal success to me.

Then somewhere around $300.00 in raffle dollars which is more than twice the last show. Again -- I think we can do better and have a few ideas now that I see how this works.

Sounds like we sold a lot of shirts too.
The hour that I was at the booth there were at least 4 that we’re sold.

Each volunteer at the booth should wear a name tag.

I feel the goal should be getting more people to sign up as “guest” member and use bar website frequently. The value of BAR will become obvious once people are in and engaged, and the cost of becoming supporting member will be trival.

One more thing, thinking out loud, be good to have a few experienced members on site for Q&A of any reefing questions. Unanswered ones go to this website to solicit member input. Whoever asked will for sure come here to check out.

I was too busy during the event to take a photo, but here’s a couple I took when we were starting to clean up.

a6226f272cbf018670e844d964dd8fb9.jpg

d24468b5e85a8eddfafc32dc2af04188.jpg

... and saw the BAR set-up chime in. What worked? What didn't? What should we try next time? Specifically stuff for BAR.

We needed a clearer way to record new members info (the 12 new members info were chicken scratched into about 3-4 different pages of a notebook) and on another page of the notebook we were keeping inventory of how much glue and how many shirts we sold. It felt a bit frantic flipping back and forth between the pages.

Reactions: JVU
DId we raffle off me?

There were only 2 tickets in your raffle bucket, and the ticket that won didn’t have a name on the back. Arnold should have the ticket number to post on here though.

Being in the South Bay and telling people the tank cleaning had to be within 30 mi of SF discouraged some ppl.

We needed a clearer way to record new members info (the 12 new members info were chicken scratched into about 3-4 different pages of a notebook) and on another page of the notebook we were keeping inventory of how much glue and how many shirts we sold. It felt a bit frantic flipping back and forth between the pages.

That was actually my fault. I had ordered a bunch of specialty lottery tickets that captured all the contact info on them, but in the rush of the dogs operation, etc I forgot to pack them for the show so I improvised that morning with the sign-up sheets of paper. That won't happen again. Also, I noticed on the short time I was there after the doors opened a lot of people were interested in the tank cleaning, but none of them lived close enough. Oh well -- not every attempt at something new works. The Steinhart tour seemed like a big success though and we can promote that one much more next time around if Rich is still amenable.

The table was too cramped with raffles as well. I did grab an extra table from the lobby area that helped, but next time will bring an additional folding table just for raffles. That will also keep the signs from being wet the entire time from the frag tank on the same table.

I had a great time. We did direct people to the forums to be guests. So hopefully we will have a explosion of guest signup in the next couple days. In my opinion the forums and the community is the biggest draw to BAR and I think I was able to get that across that to all the people I spoke to.

Back