Jestersix

What are you using for powerheads ?

Went from MP10 to Jebao (failed on me around the 1 year mark), replaced with 2 hydor koralias (cheaper alternative and able to get multiple flows from different directions )

2 WAVs. They’ve been running a little over a year now. They are quiet, powerful, and so far reliable. I really like how easy they were to program, and that they swivel so you can direct their flow.

What ever happened to closed loop? Is anyone using it these days?
I have a couple Oceans Motions, 4-way and an 8-way, just never got to set a big tank.
Tunze I liked a lot and still have them stored; MP's well, can't be directed but still nice.

What ever happened to closed loop? Is anyone using it these days?
I have a couple Oceans Motions, 4-way and an 8-way, just never got to set a big tank.
Tunze I liked a lot and still have them stored; MP's well, can't be directed but still nice.

No, I think people really balk at the power consumption and pump size.
I have maybe 12,000 GPH in my tank from power heads.
Think about the pump needed for that.

The maxspect gyres are a bit of a pain to clean also, at least compared to the vortechs I was using before. Have to unplug with associated cable management issues, take apart in multiple steps, then when reassembling you have to put it together perfectly, including not only the orientation of the propellers and cages, but also less obvious this little soft plastic flange in the end cap that likes to not seat correctly.

AND you need to keep them clean because the amount of water they push dramatically drops off as they get dirty, even when they still look and sound clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The maxspect gyres are a bit of a pain to clean also, at least compared to the vortechs I was using before. Have to unplug with associated cable management issues, take apart in multiple steps, then when reassembling you have to put it together perfectly, including not only the orientation of the propellers and cages, but also less obvious this little soft plastic flange in the end cap that likes to not seat correctly.

AND you need to keep them clean because the amount of water they push dramatically drops off as they get dirty, even when they still look and sound clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That has been my experience as well. I like the form factor and how they move water but that’s about it. Mine are also noisy esp compared to my MP40s and MP60.

i have a 75g and the LFS convinced me i needed twin MP-40's. Bought one and it disturbs my sand. Tried moving it around and it's just too powerful. I have to turn it to about 40%.

i have a 75g and the LFS convinced me i needed twin MP-40's. Bought one and it disturbs my sand. Tried moving it around and it's just too powerful. I have to turn it to about 40%.
Nothing wrong with turning it to 40%, the MP40 is no slouch when it comes to pushing water in fact with a tank your size I'm surprised you have up that high. Think of it like the Radion lights people have, many do not run them at maximum power, they run them at a level to suit their tank's needs.

FYI, the problem with sand in your tank is that flow can easily disturb it, so often you have to make a choice. Do you want strong flow, or do you want sand in a uniform level across the tank because you can't get both.

Back