got ethical husbandry?

AFS / Pellets question

So I am just starting to poke around with setting up my AFS. And my question is about the pellets food and getting them to sink!

I've tried a few types and they all just seem to float at the surface. My clowns don't care, but my tangs and especially my Marine Beta are not flying up to the surface to feed.

When I feed I stop my Skimmer, Return and Powerheads, so it's pretty calm.

Ideas/Thoughts?

So I am just starting to poke around with setting up my AFS. And my question is about the pellets food and getting them to sink!

I've tried a few types and they all just seem to float at the surface. My clowns don't care, but my tangs and especially my Marine Beta are not flying up to the surface to feed.

When I feed I stop my Skimmer, Return and Powerheads, so it's pretty calm.

Ideas/Thoughts?
You can have it dispense into a feeding ring and leave on at least the powerheads, maybe the return as well.

Or less conventionally, dispense into the return section of your sump if its a separate section.

Highly recommend a feeding ring. IMO, stopping and starting all your pumps and equipment daily (or multiple times daily) for feeding is a setup for premature equipment failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have any trouble getting it stay where you want it, instead of using the magnet, you can drill a couple holes in your AFS mount and zip tie the ring to the base of the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this:
https://buildinganobsession.com/products/apex-feeding-ring

It's kind of pricey for a few pieces of acrylic, but it looks REALLY nice and works well to boot. You could probably make one easily. The only other thing is you need to drill two holes in the tabs on the AFS (or you can get creative with whichever feeder you're using).

Here's a photo of mine:

37343301544_33ab448652_b.jpg

I got this:
https://buildinganobsession.com/products/apex-feeding-ring

It's kind of pricey for a few pieces of acrylic, but it looks REALLY nice and works well to boot. You could probably make one easily. The only other thing is you need to drill two holes in the tabs on the AFS (or you can get creative with whichever feeder you're using).

Here's a photo of mine:

37343301544_33ab448652_b.jpg
That's a scary web site I found a while back, could spend some serious $$$ there!

We use the lasso of truth as Jerry calls it to feed the clowns in the grow out. They quickly figure it out. It is just a foot of airline attached to itself.View attachment 8920

I love hordes of baby clowns. Can you offer a rental service where you rent out a small horde of babies and then when they get bigger switch them out for a new batch? :) Also -- can you do this with puppies or baby elephants also?

28166815_1639268699495687_551703794161593152_n.jpg

Back