Cali Kid Corals

Randy's Red Sea Reefer 250

Time for an update. Been way too long between updates, but I had to follow suit as it seems everyone else is providing an update and it's been so long since I've done so. Loads of changes.

September - November
1. I had my first real reef hiccup and it was a pain. Went on a 10-day vacation at the beginning of September and came back to a nasty mess of GHA. Feeding was pellets once a day by an auto feeder and a frozen cube of mysis or spirulina brine every other day by my neighbor. Nutrients never got crazy out of control it seems as I only came back to nitrates around 25 and phosphates 0.03.
2. At the same time as my GHA issue, there was some serious funk in my tank. Had a few acros RTN/STN and growth seemed to be paused on all acros. A number of them also browned out. I could never figure out what the issue was even after a triton test showed nothing crazy.
3. It took me two to three months to clean out the GHA without chemicals even after getting my nutrients back to a close to ULNS level. I ended up doing a 3.5-day blackout, installing a second algae reactor so that I could have one reactor on all the time. They run on 12-hour cycles each.
4. Adding the second reactor made me realize my bio-pellet reactor wasn't doing much. So that came offline.
5. I took GFO out as well as the second algae reactor made the use of it in my tank obsolete.
6. Tank was finally clean of all GHA by mid Nov.
7. So at this point, I was down to only running carbon, two algae reactors, a skimmer and filter socks for filtration.

November - Present Day
1. Removed all filter socks and went to filter cups with filter pads. So much easier to toss cut up filter pad squares into trash than washing socks.
2. After a series of triton tests, I determined that my calcium reactor wasn't supplying iron or iodide and I noticed that my chaeto growth would stall out without water changes. I believe it was due to lack of iron. So I decided to give these Korallen-Zucht tabs a chance because I'm lazy with dosing.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-iron-concentrate-automatic-elements.html
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-potassium-iodide-fluoride-automatic-elements.html

3. I haven't done a water change since November 6, 2017.
4. I have been seeing good growth and coloration for all coral for the past month or month and a half...probably more than I have ever seen in my tank. I'm finally back in a happy state again after my GHA/"some funk in my tank" mini-fiasco.
5. Removed black backing and added some "mood-lighting" like @Gablami did.
6. Lost my radiant wrasse and mama clowfish to carpet surfing. Added a small yellow tang. Don't start with me tang police. :p
7. Added the newly released diffusers on my Radion xr15w g4 pros and initially thought they were overhyped by BRS. After having had them on for a month or so, there's no way in hell I could ever look at my tank without them again. The disco ball effect would drive me nuts.
8. Euphillya have all been moved over to the IM 25 gallon lagoon.

Day 501 video

Last edited:
Nice vid. I’m a latecomer to the chaeto reactor thing. I’ve been getting by with nopox and my ATS. But I think I’m going to switch over soon. Maybe DIY, maybe small pax bellum :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 505: Dusting off the macro lens

Rainbow Millepora - This one has been very hardy and has been through all my mishaps since the first CFM in Sunnyvale. Lost it's color a bit during my mini-fiasco, but its colors are back in full force.
Day_0505_20180123_0032.jpg

Random Aussie Millepora - I've had this wild piece for at least 8 months and it had taken a beating with my mishap in September as well, but is mounting a nice little comeback.
Day_0505_20180123_0035.jpg

ARC Fireworks - new addition on 1/14/18
Day_0505_20180123_0022.jpg

Paletta Pink Tip - new addition on 1/14/18
Day_0505_20180123_0047.jpg

Last edited:
Day 559: Got Chalice?

Some quick iPhone pics of some of the chalices in the Reefer. Aside from a small spike in nutrients that might have caused an STN issue in my red tabling acro, tank has been doing pretty well. Nutrient issue taken care of with a few water changes.

Unknown Chalice from Neptune's (looks like a Goldmeister Chalice)
20d091c00443282eb37bb824610b0cd1.jpg

Miami Hurricane Chalice
f6edb2a5fe01a21210c57a4157e67416.jpg

OG Mummy Eye Chalice
7381c613fd451720e3a56ca1ef93070b.jpg

Unknown Chalice
e9318a9e07a041e43824a2252525bc5b.jpg

55c93ed6840db780a02a5df2c16ce5d5.jpg

Last edited:
More Day 559: The Sticks

I'm getting some good polyp extension these days. Wish I knew the secret formula so I could keep it forever.

WWC Helios
275abfbea94cf644e8814feb647c577f.jpg

Walt Disney
86cfdb0712a3dfdda8dc305db82e46ef.jpg

Sunset Millepora
384f654908d0699238170e267eff27ee.jpg

Pink Lemonade
f25a7ccd406e15842469039f698f912b.jpg

Pink Floyd
54a5e86a28d7c357b1925cfc4d23c401.jpg

Day 573

Not much to update. Tank continues to chug along without so much as a whimper. Must be my reward for having issues with IM 25G Lagoon. I've had this gonipora for a little over 6 months now. I've had a 50% success ratio so far with goniporas/alvepora. I'm just glad the most expensive one is thriving. ;)

Day_0572_20180331_0200.jpg

Last edited:
Day 557

Not much to update. Tank continues to chug along without so much as a whimper. Must be my reward for having issues with IM 25G Lagoon. I've had this gonipora for a little over 6 months now. I've had a 50% success ratio so far with goniporas/alvepora. I'm just glad the most expensive one is thriving. ;)

Day_0572_20180331_0200.jpg
That one’s a beauty.

Day 624

Following my first cracked algae reactor (see this post), I've been running with a single algae reactor instead of my normal two for the past two months, well, the second one finally starting leaking. The plus side of this experience is that I was able to test out my Neptune LDK and it worked like a champ notifying me there was a leak. Didn't leak much, just a small puddle, so no damage done.

Decided to move away from algae reactors (they're a pain to keep clean) and also see how much more cramped I can make a reefer 250 cabinet. I added an external fuge to the system a few days ago. I took my old 12g fluval edge that's been sitting on the shelf and drilled three holes in it for 3/4" bulkheads - full siphon drain, emergency drain and a return line.

Fluval_Edge_Fuge_001.jpg

Had to build a little stand to get the bulkheads a little higher. Electronics are a little close, but since the fuge is mostly covered, it's not as bad as it looks, but yes, I probably should clean up the electronics and wiring.
Fluval_Edge_Fuge_002.jpg

I lit this thing up with two 45W LED grow panels. Should be plenty.
Fluval_Edge_Fuge_003.jpg

I have no idea why, but I can stare at tumbling chaeto for a while. It's mesmerizes me.

So far, a couple nice benefits I've had from the change.
- I've noticed in the past few days that my pH doesn't bottom out as low as it used to. I've gained somewhere between 0.07-0.10 on my pH minimum and bottom out around 7.90 at night now. I also moved my calcium reactor effluent drip to the fuge hoping that will help balance out the acidic drip from the carx.
- I gained almost 20% more water volume with the additional 10 gallons.

Last edited:
Back