Kessil

Who Else Is Excited about the Trident from APEX?

It said that it should be released to their nsi group by the end of the first quarter. I haven’t heard of anyone getting one though. I wonder if they missed that deadline.

They also said that most dkh tests use 50-90 ml of tank water to test. I’m used to the Hannah which uses 10 ml. Which ones use that much?

I test Ca and mg like once every other month so this would be great. I can’t wait to use it on my next system.

They're troubleshooting the last bits of it before NSI from what I recall in my convo with Vincent. Not sure which test kit uses that much water to test all 3 parameters either.

I want to see this out in the wild and in operation especially at the stated price point. It's already changed the price point of the KH Guardian.

Definitely interested. But....
Are the delays indicating something is wrong?
I would really have to see reviews first. Especially on accuracy over several months.
And the price, especially since I would have to buy a new Apex.

Interesting if you compare it to an aquarium maintenance service.
Assume $2500 for Trident + New Apex, maybe 7 year life span. Sounds like about $30/month for chemicals.
That is roughly $60/month total.
Not sure what a monthly aquarium service costs. $100/visit?
You get a lot more out of a maintenance visit than just testing chemicals.

i think they are adding more to it that caused a bit of a delay with the release.
Initially they said the trident would only be used as a testing source, to test water and give results for ALK/CA/MAG
when i spoke to the rep at the frag swap, he said they have added the ability now to have it work along with the apex DOS to not only monitor level, but to dose accordingly to keep your ALK/CA/MAG level to requested specs.

I would really have to see reviews first. Especially on accuracy over several months.

Assume $2500 for Trident + New Apex, maybe 7 year life span. Sounds like about $30/month for chemicals.
The trident I think will cost $600 and the new apex is $800 I think the chemical cost is close enough to call it accurate.

I can't wait for something like this for sure. Be it apex or other. As a non Alex user I would prefer a stand alone version, but depending on what winds up being available in the next year or two (or not) this could be the thing that leads me to become and apex user.

I came up with a different amount. $800 for apex 2016 + $600 for trident = $1400/7 years/12 months = $16.67

The way I understand the article is that the reagents come in a container that is a one month supply that could be extended to 2 months and is sold as a two container pack for $40. Maybe I’m misunderstanding this. I fully intend on extending the reagents to the max since I don’t see the need for that much testing. That would mean I could get 4 months out of the $40 two pack which would equate to $10/ month.

That is only $26.67/month then. Now if you factor in the people that already have the new apex (like myself) then that cost is already spent and doesn’t need to be included and brings down the monthly cost to $17.14.

i think they are adding more to it that caused a bit of a delay with the release.
Initially they said the trident would only be used as a testing source, to test water and give results for ALK/CA/MAG
when i spoke to the rep at the frag swap, he said they have added the ability now to have it work along with the apex DOS to not only monitor level, but to dose accordingly to keep your ALK/CA/MAG level to requested specs.
Well good call at least, just a monitor while useful is kinda meh, hey you gave me a value now let me write a program that takes that value and does something else.

A better question is how long does it take after dosing something will it take to equalize that through the system?

The thing is, that last step should be easy.
As long as alk is set up internally like a normal PH/temp value, the programming infrastructure should be there.
Then just one extra user command.
DOS->advanced
if alk > 10 then off

I came up with a different amount. $800 for apex 2016 + $600 for trident = $1400/7 years/12 months = $16.67

The way I understand the article is that the reagents come in a container that is a one month supply that could be extended to 2 months and is sold as a two container pack for $40. Maybe I’m misunderstanding this. I fully intend on extending the reagents to the max since I don’t see the need for that much testing. That would mean I could get 4 months out of the $40 two pack which would equate to $10/ month.

That is only $26.67/month then. Now if you factor in the people that already have the new apex (like myself) then that cost is already spent and doesn’t need to be included and brings down the monthly cost to $17.14.
According to one article, reagents go bad, so it is hard to extend them.
And that $40 probably does not include shipping, handling, and tax.
Plus, that and the $600 price tag are still really unknown anyway.

But since head unit is only $350, that makes a BIG difference. Especially for those of us that have more relays and sensors.

But certainly anything in the $20 range would be great!

The thing is, that last step should be easy.
As long as alk is set up internally like a normal PH/temp value, the programming infrastructure should be there.
Then just one extra user command.
DOS->advanced
if alk > 10 then off

that only stops alk from being dosed if the value is greater than 10. what about keeping it at a constant 9? if the reading comes out to 8.2, how much does it know how to Dose.
are you going to dos increments of 20ml until the next reading is 9.4 and then it stops? that doesnt seem very consistent. theres a lot more to factor on how to keep a constant number.

that only stops alk from being dosed if the value is greater than 10. what about keeping it at a constant 9? if the reading comes out to 8.2, how much does it know how to Dose.
are you going to dos increments of 20ml until the next reading is 9.4 and then it stops? that doesnt seem very consistent. theres a lot more to factor on how to keep a constant number.
Yes, a nice constant value is more difficult.
You would increment/decrement the amount dosed based on level.

But like an ATO, you can also set it to dose a relatively normal amount, slightly more than needed, then shut off.

Correct, that's the way that I see it. Being able to monitor your alk regular allows you to send the code to your DOS or whichever pump you have connected to run slightly shorter/longer to adjust your parameters as needed. Ultimately, it's about consistency anyways and being off a bit isn't too bad if it's consistently within the same range.

Back