Kessil

Nemageddon -- ugh....or PSA: when in doubt pull it out

Before I left for a biz trip on Tues, I noticed one of my large nem acting weird. My first thought was that I would pull it out to quarantine but then thought maybe it's trying to split...so off and out the door I went.

Came home Thurs afternoon to find my tank cloudy as F...and nem guys everywhere. So I did an emergency water change almost 80%, stealing water from my shroom tank rather than wait for my fresh water batches to warm up. Plus, ran double dose of carbon on top.

The water was still cloudy but didn't think it would be a probably since carbon usually clears of cloudy nem water.

Thought I caught it in time since most of my nems looked like the were doing alright. Despite this, my gut told me to do another 50 - 60% water change but I figured I would go with past conventional wisdom and left it.

Woke up next morning and everything was shriveled and browning with 3 nems dead.
And 3 more covered in brown bio film...two of which was a recently split Marz Martian RBTA.

Did the 50% water change i had originally thought to do, and now it's all wait and see.

Nem tank has turned into a Nem ICU. :/

Unfortunately, my wild supernova morph was one of the victims.

So morale of the story: when gut instincts feel like the right thing to do is QT, or when in doubt -- QT it!

I did... but that's been the case for awhile and don't believe that's the issue.

The large nem that went had an injury and struggling for awhile... likely a chain reaction from when my purple nem cooked itself...that lead to this particular nem's demise.

I think it was trying to split in response but failed. Unfortunately it messed up my water and because of the sheer size, it wound up clogging my filter and pump. Ugh.

I probably should have been more aggressive on the water change... originally thought to pump my surviving nems into my shroom tank sump but didn't want to risk the health of that tank

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gonna really miss this beauty
10ec490762bfe8a3056440955cbdea21.jpg

Gonna really miss this beauty
10ec490762bfe8a3056440955cbdea21.jpg

I ask because I know a lot of people are scared to mixed. Cool to know you did with no problem. Well until now but that was different issue.

Sorry to hear about this. That is for sure a beautiful nem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. So sorry to hear that.
On brighter side, I haven't managed to picked up that nem from you yet... so at least there's that.

I did also manage to witness my lightning maroons cleaning an injured nem. The nem was covered in brown slime and the clown literally sucked the tentacles clean one by one. It tried with the others too.

Wish I had my phone with me to video... was very interesting to watch.

Hey. Bigfoot is REAL! This wild/captive nem business is crap though.
Case in point, the nem I posted pic of was wild... stuck to the same spot after it found its happy place, and survived multiple calamities including being sucked clear into the HOB tube...

New nem tank is gonna be 100% nem proof. Just finished the stand today. Building sump and drilling bulkhead this coming weekend. No heater, no moving parts, no nem killing features except the nems themselves.

Case in point, the nem I posted pic of was wild... stuck to the same spot after it found its happy place, and survived multiple calamities including being sucked clear into the HOB tube...

New nem tank is gonna be 100% nem proof. Just finished the stand today. Building sump and drilling bulkhead this coming weekend. No heater, no moving parts, no nem killing features except the nems themselves.

Don’t forget about the overflow or drain. That needs to be nem proofed as well.

Yeah the problem with anemones when they go south is if pieces get pulled into a powerhead they just get chopped up and shoot all those still active stinging cells through the water column, then if they kill another anemone, then those go, and yeah it's like Chernobyl.

I've been using these in my Nem tank. Printed by a guy in Sac. He makes them for MP10's and MP40's. Perfect for tanks with Nems and other inverts that can sucked in. THey work like a charm and don't have that annoying habit of turning brown with goo and clogging like the mesh guards do.

IMG_6348.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG

Back