Reef nutrition

My 170g cube

Well, the CO2 scrubber media didn't last very long. Waiting for more to come in the mail

Tinkering with the idea of adding a remote refugium. I need to make a custom tank for it to fit under my stand.

Picking up a pair of 55g barrels this weekend to make a better mixing station. Welding a frame together today.
3573afa586450d212f54dd655dbe46e6.jpg

Bought a 5gal bucket of the stuff for $90. That should last me almost a year. The media is lasting longer with the solenoid controlling flow as well.

The scrubber is a short term solution. I need to build a refugium in the space I have left in the stand.

I tried both running airline outside, and CO2 scrubber.
The airline outside had no effect, but scrubber did.
Diffusion rate is based on partial pressure.
Meaning, if CO2 level is much lower in the air, it transfers from water faster.
Scrubber lowers CO2 dramatically, where airline outside is minor.

Note that for me with my large tank, it was looking to expensive for scrubber media.
I switched to dosing Kalk, and that helped on PH, and was a lot cheaper.

(My CO2 scrubber is for sale cheap if someone wants to try it)

So, I've been thinking about changing things and have come up with a plan. I've always had the best success with having a refugium and my current setup doesn't make that feasible. I'm going to take out the 10g tank I'm using as an ATO container and put in a 20g tank to hold the return pump and Skimmer. My current sump already has a bulkhead in the return area since I originally planned on doing an overflow water change system but it isn't being used. I'm going to use the second compartment in the first sump as a refugium, the third section as a rock rubble and dosing area and the second sump for Skimmer and return.

Just need to get a fuge light.

She had a freshwater tank for a year and it did well. She graduated to a 10g qt tank and she took care of our small to medium incoming fish, with some help, for almost a year. I promised she would get her own reef tank if she could keep those tanks without any major problems.

And she is spoiled since she has a degenerative genetic epilepsy condition.

Last frag swap I went to in Sacramento, she picked all the frags and I've been keeping them for her eventual reef tank.

Back