Neptune Aquatics

Fumigation help

You really need to plan for it since is a three day thing; last thing you want is for your ecosystem to die due to lack of oxygen if you decide to seal it.
You are not the first person to experience fumigation; I believe in the past some folks have had a tent cover their homes.
IMHO you should seal the tank and have a long hose pushing air and another hose as exhaust; running the skimmer with a long air line should help too.
The inlet air hose you may attach to a mesh bag with carbon.

Won’t the electricity be shut off while the place is fumigated? I don’t think running the tank throughout the process is even an option.

According to pg&e website normally electricity is left on, gas is turned off

Attachments

• 9E243ED0-AA74-4946-ACC4-9ED299B9E26F.png
    9E243ED0-AA74-4946-ACC4-9ED299B9E26F.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 433
Well if you have garage space anywhere, nothing wrong than a couple of brutes with water and your rock in there for a few days. Then just plastic up the ever living crap out of the whole tank/stand. And when it's over move everything back. Although that sand might be problematic, especially if it has a lot of crap in it.

Hell you could potentially do it outside, wrap some insulation around the Brutes for night, weather is supposed to be nice for the next few days, borrow some extra heaters to keep up with the temperature drop.

The most common termite fumigant is Sulfuryl Flouride, usually sold under the trade name Vikane. I recommend you look up the manufacturer's recommendations, not just for your reef, but for the safety of your family. Tl;Dr Vikane is a powerful neurotoxin that is soluble in water and can contaminate things you might not suspect (toothpaste, shampoo, etc), so informing yourself is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m also on the side of moving everything out. The point of the gas is to kill everything inside. It’s intended that the gas works its way into every crevasse of the house. I’d be worried the whole 3 days that I didn’t get it covered tight enough and even if I was sure I’d be worried that there wasn’t enough gas exchange.

You’ll likely be fine setting up a temporary tank for 3 days with no cycle (depending on how many fish you keep in it). Don’t feed anything since the fish likely won’t eat anything when they’re stressed anyway and it will just be left to decompose.

I went through this a few times. I just sealed with plastic bags and all was fine. If it makes you more comfortable to remove your livestocks, you can put them in a 5 gal bucket with a hang on skimmer and a light for a few days.

For 3 days, you can use water changes and zeolites to remove waste.
If you take a big rock with it, that will have bacteria on it, so help.

My suggestion:
Set up temporary tank, even in a bathtub.
Move all fish, large coral, and one rock.
Add zeolites and carbon.
Make sure to aerate well.
Then seal main tank up with plastic and duct tape.

I went through this a few times. I just sealed with plastic bags and all was fine. If it makes you more comfortable to remove your livestocks, you can put them in a 5 gal bucket with a hang on skimmer and a light for a few days.
How did the tank get oxygen?

For 3 days, you can use water changes and zeolites to remove waste.
If you take a big rock with it, that will have bacteria on it, so help.

My suggestion:
Set up temporary tank, even in a bathtub.
Move all fish, large coral, and one rock.
Add zeolites and carbon.
Make sure to aerate well.
Then seal main tank up with plastic and duct tape.
The entire house is getting the treatment including bathtubs

If it helps, I have a cycled 90 gallon that you can keep your livestock in. It’s attached to a 200 gallon system. Located in Mountain View.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4122.JPG
My place is in a process of fumigation today . I started off last week by removing all livestock including two clowns, purple dotty and six line wrasse from my 34 g tank. Then remove as much corals as I can. I left the red monti, gorgonian and pulsing xenia. I turned off everything except left the one MP10 running. I covered the tank with the nyloflume bags provided and taped it around. I am monitoring the temp with my Apex. Its a 3 day tenting so it should be by friday afternoon per Terminix. PG and E is only cutting gas not power. I will update on Friday if the corals left behind makes it.

Back