Reef nutrition

Microbubbles

My tank is full of them. I'm running a 75g with a four bay sump from EShopps. Dual overflow into filter sock into refug to skimmer/reactor chamber (with carbon in media bag) and then return pump. Bubbles are present in the refug but not the other chambers. I presume the overflow is very aggressive and causing them?

How can I stop this??

Thanks in advance

I don't see any, but i guess i could shut it down for a few hours to rule it out? Would that be long enough? I did put it on the feed setting which is 10 minutes and didn't see any change. All the bubbles in the sump that are visible are in the refuge, which is before the skimmer.

Thanks

So do you see bubbles in the return pump area of your sump?
It sounds like you do not, which means the bubbles in the DT might be caused by something else.

Things to check:
Are powerheads very close to the surface? You can get an occasional vortex sucking in air.
Do you have an anti-siphon hole on your return? In the wrong place, that can act as a venturi.

But also:
Make sure drains from return line are below water level as they enter sump.
Consider more baffles around return pumps.
Make sure skimmer output is pointed away from overflow to return pump area.

I had a lot of micro bubbles in my reef when I changed lighting due to photosynthesis. They went away after a short time. I could tell it was lighting because at the end of the light cycle there was more bubbles than at the beginning.

Back