Jestersix

Fistful of chaeto anyone?

It’s not much, but I have a ball of chaeto available for anyone with nano setups. My chaeto has been growing fairly fast in 2 chambers. Would normally be tossing but figured a fistful is a good size for nano tanks. It’s clean and pest free. Might have some copepods but that’s a good thing. Pick up in Union City.
a73703e09f5c71bf61bb811d72b4f089.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Doesn't look like your chaeto bins are full. I’d keep as much chaeto as possible as long as it’s not dying and you have room. The more chaeto you have, the more nutrients that are used up.

That’s the second fuge basket, which I’m shutting down for the time being to make room for the skimmer, which I took down to run carbon in a reactor. If only I had more chambers...

That’s the second fuge basket, which I’m shutting down for the time being to make room for the skimmer, which I took down to run carbon in a reactor. If only I had more chambers...

Upgrade. Upgrade. Upgrade. (Chanting) :)

Did you notice an increase or decrease in nutrients with the second chamber filled with chaeto versus skimmer?

Increase in nutrients. But to be fair I was previously running both skimmer and second chaeto basket. I took off skimmer to run carbon, then saw a rise in no3/po4. Other factors also muddy the comparison as I upped feeding this past week to raise po4 from 0. Will get a better picture after testing how well skimmer + reactor does compared to the previous 2 iterations.

What test kit are you using that shows you have 0 phosphates? Personally I would never try to increase po4 and only in a few circumstances would I try to increase my no3.

What test kit are you using that shows you have 0 phosphates? Personally I would never try to increase po4 and only in a few circumstances would I try to increase my no3.
Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. Previously it was a very consistent 0.015ppm. In the last 2 weeks it went to 0 with no visible nuisance algae sucking it up. But yeah I’m done with the experimentation of raising nutrients.

Back