Our mission

Ph Question

I test my water weekly. 75g tank--15 gallon water changes on Saturday. Test Sunday. Nitrates and phosphates are great. Salinity perfect, but I cannot get my Ph over 8.15. I'm adding eight.four daily. Do I need to do anything else? I'm running a GFO reactor.

Thanks

pH is important, but only causes problems in the extreme ranges. Yours is fine.

The main driver of low pH in home aquaria is CO2 from the humans and pets in your house breathing, or poor gas exchange. You can read more about it from one of Randy Homes-Farley’s very interesting articles on the subject, just google his name plus pH.

I don't have a sand bed or decently sized refugium. I also have way too many fish and a house full of people and pets so my tank floated between 7.7 - 7.9

Higher ph is attributed with faster growth. I added two canisters of CO2 scrubber media to my Skimmer intake and ran a line outside. My ph is now 8.2 - 8.35 and my tank is happier for it. My cannisters last about 2 weeks and I got a 5gal jug of media that should last a year or so for $100.

I don't bother with it, unless it causes my calcium reactor solenoid to go off.

upload_2018-6-17_16-8-45.png

pH is important, but only causes problems in the extreme ranges. Yours is fine.

The main driver of low pH in home aquaria is CO2 from the humans and pets in your house breathing, or poor gas exchange. You can read more about it from one of Randy Homes-Farley’s very interesting articles on the subject, just google his name plus pH.
+1 crack a window open!

Back