Kessil

CDA 87G

Reflected light. A number of sps, when they're happy, produce a longer white polyp, as in the case with this one. You see it a lot in milles and prostratas for the most part.

I’ve noticed this on just a few acropora, usually near new growth tips. It almost looks like they’re trying to sweep the water around them to check for corals in the way. Red planet, a random red/green acro frag swap pick-up from @anathema, and @tankguys CB purple fusion extend sweepers and look like millis at times, but not any of my other acros (tenuis, tort, bonsai, staghorns). I wonder if this means they’re the same/similar species or all tabling acros? Sweepers coming from growth tips might make sense for horizontal growth forms.

Haven't keep a softy in awhile and wasn't considering one until a buddy brought me his rare japanese toadstool.

Lost some colors from the transport and the dipping yesterday, but the polyps are out today.
2018_06_25_japanese_toadstool.jpg

It's green on green. Needs to color back up, but it's looking good so far. The tentacles are long on it, similar to the weeping willow toad. In this pic, it's kind of hard to tell, but they're a bit longer than 1".

Yep! The frag disk there is 1" across, so you can see how large the base is relative to it. Base is 1/2" x 3/"4" in size at most while the tentacles are 1"+. It looks like a torch coral as others have mentioned.

Here's what it looked like under his frag tank (my piece is the top middle, judging by the notch in my disk). One was brushed to show the colors of the base, as well as its overall size.
jPdbD1y.jpg

Reactions: JVU
Picked up some SPS from Neptune and CRC over the weekend. Only time will tell if they color up and get to remain in the tank, or sold off, to make room for others.

Greenish yellow piece. Wild Aussie piece from CRC. Had a nice tabling shape and was fresh cut from a huge colony.
2018_06_25_crc_sp02.jpg

Very unique blue green with greenish yellow polyps. Interested in seeing if it holds the colors. Also, from CRC.
2018_06_25_crc_sp03.jpg

Purple blue with a slight hint of green on the tip. Want to see how this turns out.
2018_06_25_neptunesps06.jpg

This sucker pops under Kessils. There was a huge frag in another tank and doesn't look like a Miyagi or anything along those lines. Will see if it holds the colors and its eventual growth shape.
2018_06_25_neptunesps07.jpg

Shortcake like growth, but unlike a traditional shortcake color.
2018_06_25_neptunesps08.jpg

High hopes for this one. Purple blue with orange polyps.
2018_06_25_neptunesps09.jpg

The ugly of the group. Had hints of orange under blues so seeing what it becomes.
2018_06_25_neptunesps10.jpg

Ohhh...that's nice. I kinda want! ;) If you ever get a frag out of it made plan to sell or DBTCing, let me know!

Yep, will do, but it's a slow grower from what my buddy told me. He fragged the above pieces and won't be fragging for another year or so. They were posted on RC under the local SoCal forum and were sold out in less than 10 minutes. He undersold himself, considering that he sold each piece for 1/4 of what he originally paid for his original piece.

what's with all these pieces? I thought you had a very specific list of corals you were going to put in your tank? :D

Good call! Yes, there's a pretty specific list of corals that is going into the tank, but I was expecting to put these in the 20 gallon AIO tank. Still waiting for them to ship me the replacement, so these are in the DT for now.

Arrived today.
pumpinbox.jpg

Very manageable size pump. 3.25" across, 5.25" front to back, 4.75" tall w/the rubber feet
pumpinhand.jpg

Calibration is spot on right out of the box.
outofboxcalibration.jpg

Running it continuous for now and will recheck calibration again before using it for the CaRx feed.

@scuzy @Vhuang168 What's a good starting point for mL/min for the you guys?

Cool...watching [emoji16], since I would need to invest in dosing equipment soon.

What supplements are you planning on dosing, ex. Triton, ATI, red Sea, aqua forest, etc..
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Arrived today.
pumpinbox.jpg

Very manageable size pump. 3.25" across, 5.25" front to back, 4.75" tall w/the rubber feet
pumpinhand.jpg

Calibration is spot on right out of the box.
outofboxcalibration.jpg

Running it continuous for now and will recheck calibration again before using it for the CaRx feed.

@scuzy @Vhuang168 What's a good starting point for mL/min for the you guys?

How's the sound level on that thing?

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you anyway. ;) I'm at 10.3 ml/min of effluent into reefer. About 60 gallons of total water volume. I do have an oversized calcium reactor with a secondary chamber, so lot of contact time. pH of reactor is 6.7-6.75.

Last edited:
How's the sound level on that thing?

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you anyway. ;) I'm at 10.3 ml/min of effluent into reefer. About 60 gallons of total water volume. I do have an oversized calcium reactor with a secondary chamber, so lot of contact time. pH of reactor is 6.7-6.75.

Nope, I'll take any experience from others, like yourself, with calcium reactors and your settings, so thanks! Running an oversized calcium reactor here as well (supposedly good for up to 300G, but let's say half that at 150G is still oversized) for the 87G with total volume of ~100 gallons. Running through primary reactor, plus secondary reactor with finer material.

Sound level on this thing is relatively quiet. It's just slightly below the noise level of the air draw from my BK Mini 160, which isn't bad at all.

I'm at the minimum speed of my pump which is translate to about 12ml/min.

pH of my CaRx is just under 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input!

I started mine at 30ml/min but I have a large tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!

I sent solitude, Mike, an email on RC since he runs a Kamoer feed pump as well to get his input. His tank is 150G sps dominant and he runs his reactor at a pH of 6.8 with the Kamoer feeding at 20 ml/min.

Seems pretty much in line with what you guys are doing. I'm setting mine at 20 mL/min for now since I'm trying to raise my alk up a tad up to 8.0. Once it settles in at 8.0, then I'll tweak it down slightly to maintain it there. Today's alk reading is at 7.7, so not that far off.

It also seems like you guys are targeting pH values in your reactor at 6.7 - 7? Using the Neptune bulk reactor material and currently have the solenoid set to 6.6-6.7. Any reason to divert from that?

[QUOTE
It also seems like you guys are targeting pH values in your reactor at 6.7 - 7? Using the Neptune bulk reactor material and currently have the solenoid set to 6.6-6.7. Any reason to divert from that?[/QUOTE]

It will depend on your tank needs.

If at the lowest the pump can go and the ALK is rising, you will have to raise the pH in the CaRx. Which is what is happening in my system. This is the 40b, not the 190.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think the size of reactor matters as it only means how much media it can hold. You can run it at the lowest ml/min and test to see if your alk stays steady at a give alk level say 8. Then adjust more or less if it drifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back