Cali Kid Corals

What Test Kit Are You Using For Alk, Ca, Mg?

Originally went with API for calcium and alkalinity, but shortly moved to Red Sea for all three.

After realizing how difficult it was to determine color differences for the results (even though it gets you close enough), I switched to Hanna checkers and I’ve loved them ever since. I used a majority of the Red Sea reagents before switching to Hanna.

I use Hanna for Alk and Cal.
Red Sea for magnesium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I'm using api for calcium since it gave me the same reading as my ATI ICP test.

I am using red sea for alk, though I prefer Hanna

I'm using nyos for magnesium and it gave me the same reading as the ICP test.

The api alk test gives me a pretty close reading to red sea. If you double the test sample (to 10ml) and count each drop as a half dkh, you can more accurate readings but their consistency between batches isn't great.

I tried seachem tests, they are garbage. Difficult to use and results are way off. Even their calibration fluid is way off.

You can definitely go wrong with Hanna on some of the tests. Alk and Phosphates are fine, but the others are suspect I believe.
The calcium one is subject to the quility of your rodi water.

They are all subject to vial cleanliness and clarity.

Hanna is great for alk and phosphorus. The cost per test is higher.

The calcium one is subject to the quility of your rodi water.

They are all subject to vial cleanliness and clarity.

Hanna is great for alk and phosphorus. The cost per test is higher.

They’re also all subject to user error too. That’s one of the great things about hannah’s Alk and po4 testers; they’re easy to do. Their Ca one is much more complex by comparison but so are most Ca test kits.

They’re also all subject to user error too. That’s one of the great things about hannah’s Alk and po4 testers; they’re easy to do. Their Ca one is much more complex by comparison but so are most Ca test kits.
Yup. I wish I had Hanna for those two, I have had them before and they make testing less of a chore, though red sea alk is just as fast.

I sure wish they would either switch the Hanna phosphate reagents to liquid or repackage into like a straw shape so you can easily get the powder into the cuvette...

600 plus reagents for 90 a month is pretty steep IMO.
started with API back in 2009 went to elos and tropic marin. Now its PO4 and ALK is hanna and MG is salifert and

Back