Reef nutrition

Refugium vs Algae Reactor.. Why does one method work while the other fails.

In this Hobby, everything you do regardless if it's right or wrong is a good learning experience. I have read so many posts on:
  • My Chaeto grows really good in my Algae Reactor
  • My Chaeto dies in an Algae Reactor, even using the expensive Pax Bellum
  • My Chaeto growth is insane in a Refugium
  • My Chaeto dies in a Refugium
  • etc..etc.. etc..
In my situation, the algae reactor failed while the refugium is doing very well in the same tank, same sump, and
  • Algae Reactor is Skimz MBR 157
  • Refugium is lit by Kessil H380
Both are pretty decent pieces of equpiment that has shown success in other tanks. I'm asking this because it's really confusing to me. I would like to try to understand why.

Some Notes:
  • H380 is running 8 hrs opposite DT lighting.
  • Algae Reactor (Tried 12 hrs, 8 hrs, 6 hrs, with different Flow Rates)
  • Nutrient reading is usually always around 0-.03 Phosphates, Nitrates 5-10
  • Feed 4x a day (3 1 spin, 1 2 spin/ 1 cube frozen mysis 3x/week, reef roids 2x week)
reactor1.jpg
reactor2.jpg
refugium1.jpg

7e9d9a10c3f4355c565122b721df3173.jpg

Last edited:
From your provided photos it looks like both are growing chaeto.

The H380 is an amazing refugium light, and is probably out-competing your reactor (not familiar with how strongly that is lit) since you are seeing more growth in the refugium.

You definitely don’t need both, so since the refugium is working well and has other benefits like being easier to maintain and can grow other microfauna more easily, I’d stick with that.

The reactor and refugium isn't running at the same time. I started off with the mbr157 which eventually killed the chaeto. Once the mbr157 was removed, only then did I add the refugium.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, I see. Well that is more of a puzzle then, and I’m not sure.

Maybe your tank is more mature now and providing more of what the chaeto needs to thrive? It’s not just nitrate and phosphate, there are minor elements such as iron, trace elements, amino acids, as well as plenty of unknowns.

But as to your direct question of why in general would a refugium grow chaeto when a reactor doesn’t, I don’t think there is a good generic answer since plenty of people have success with both, as you pointed out. It is pretty common in this hobby to get a result that doesn’t really make sense even though you’ve done a lot of reading on the subject and were careful to optimize everything we know about.

It’s pretty difficult to narrow down the reasons why one thing will work for some and not others. There’s just so many factors. I remember switching the settings on my display lights effected my chaeto growth. And for sure it kept sucking up all my iron.

In your case it would be interesting to go back to the reactor and see if the same thing happens again.

It’s pretty difficult to narrow down the reasons why one thing will work for some and not others. There’s just so many factors. I remember switching the settings on my display lights effected my chaeto growth. And for sure it kept sucking up all my iron.

In your case it would be interesting to go back to the reactor and see if the same thing happens again.

Thanks Flagg, guess i'm always looking for a magic answer. I'm glad that refugium is working. I would be interesting to go back to the reactor, but it was only removed about 10 days ago. Chaeto and light came in the same day I removed the reactor.

The chaeto in the refugium, reactor and scrubber seems to be such a common issue on the forums, I was thinking there would be an answer by now :)

On a side note: I bought the chaeto from the same guy 4x ... :) .. Im glad I won't be a lifetime chaeto customer.

Let's put it this way. You are putting almost 100 Watts of light from the h380 and the skins is 37 watts. There is a big difference of power and growing power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let's put it this way. You are putting almost 100 Watts of light from the h380 and the skins is 37 watts. There is a big difference of power and growing power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If it doesn't work, get a bigger stronger one? [emoji16]

There’s so many people in the club that just throw out their chaeto there shouldn’t be any need to ever buy it. I had so much that I would put it out on the street like grass clippings.

Did your feeding increase or did you add more fish when you changed over to the fuge. Normally the limiting factor is nitrates.

This is what I thought of initially, but then upon thinking it over, 100 watts at a distance of what... 10 - 20 inches away? (10 near the top 20 near the bottom) versus 0.5 - 3 inches away?

That said, the Skimz reactor probably just went with generic "warm white" LEDs which may not have as much punch watt for watt as the H380 which also has a spectral profile that is well suited for growing plants.

Mine is exactly the same JVU, you can't change the intensity just grow/bloom, which I put on grow.
That’s weird, the H80 intensity is adjustable even though it puts out much less light. You guys must really be baking your chaeto with those H380s. I am not even at 2/3 intensity with an H80.

I have two problems that I encounter that made me abandon algae reactors - both problems that were caused by me and my laziness to clean the reactor out.

1) Thing gets dirty and film algae/coralline/GHA grows on the side and blocks the light.

2) flow eventually slows down to a crawl due to various algae growth.

I have no proof, but I think that's part reason my chaeto died a couple of times.

That’s weird, the H80 intensity is adjustable even though it puts out much less light. You guys must really be baking your chaeto with those H380s. I am not even at 2/3 intensity with an H80.

I like my macro algae crispy as well. I use 100W worth of light on my fuges.

Last edited:
A little off topic , but what are you guys using to prevent refugium light from bleeding into different areas? Looks like I'm growing algae inside my skimmer.

Acrylic sheet (black)?
Maybe a a shade of some kind that project the light downward like a lamp shade?

I got a couple plastic mirrors from Amazon, hotglued on toothpicks, and used zip tie to hold them on the light. This directs the light down into the rectangular fuge with a lot less spillover.

9f6d3293dcea9c6749e7a908ab6c2d2b.jpg
If you bought bigger mirrors, do you think it can block the light completely from the skimmer area?

Back