High Tide Aquatics

Help! Added livestock too fast

Help! I think I went a bit fast and have some softies, a Duncan and a hammer and 2 clowns in my tank.

My cycle finished and I have about 20ppm for nitrates, but I am now starting to get a diatom bloom on my rocks.

What should I do at this point?
Water change? Just did a 5 gallon change today but didn't notice a huge change.
Wait it out?
Snails?
Vodka dose?

All other parameters are fine and I am using red Sea coral pro salt

It's a 20G IM Nuvo 20...Have some chaeto in one of the compartments with a chaeotmax LED and will add more chaeto and another light to the other compartment to see if that helps.

If I just did a 5G today, should I do another 5G water change tomorrow?

Water changes are your best friend
At least 30% every week
You will dilute pollution significantly and and before it builds up
And replenish the depleted ions

Could I also just vodka dose to do a one time drop of the nitrates down instead of WC?
Carbon dosing (vinegar or vodka or ...) doesn't in itself remove nitrates. The dosing will create a bacterial colony that will over time consume nitrates and to a lesser extent - phosphates. It is not a quick fix as you would have to ramp up your dosing and allow the bacteria time to populate. A new tank can and will go through different stages of "ulgies" Just give it time and don't do anything drastic.
Cheers! Mark

20ppm in that tank with the livestock is OK. Keep doing your 5g water changes every week. Don't mess with anything else at this point, you can do more harm than good.

The #1 key to success in this hobby is patience. Don't buy anymore livestock, don't dose carbon or make any filter changes unless things get worse. Changing too much too fast will cause a crash.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I couldn't really capture a good pic but wanted to confirm that this was an actual diatom bloom?

And noted on the savings, will be a supporting member sjortly!

Attachments

• 20180707_132606.jpg
    20180707_132606.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 326
  • 20180707_132613.jpg
    20180707_132613.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 330
Welcome and congrats on becoming a supporting member! When you feel your tank has stabilized and you are ready for more corals, let me know. I can always find a frag or 2 to help new members populate their reef.
Cheers! Mark

can't capture the severity of the diatom bloom on my camera, but seems to be getting worse.

My nitrate levels seem to be steady at around 20-25, and I can't blow off the diatoms with a turkey baster.

Thinking I can leave everything as is though, given no change in water parameters

And thanks for the offer on coral Mark!

Back