Neptune Aquatics

Look Ma, No Filter Socks!

I've been considering splitting my drain line to feed my refugium and then got to thinking that maybe a simpler solution might be to remove filter socks altogether and leave it to the CUC in the sump to sort it out.

After doing some research, looks like Randy and others on R2R have done just that with positive results. They rely on skimmers to help with some of the nutrient export (though I may skip that for my shroom tank still since I can't get the tank dirty enough!). So thought I would share in case others are interested...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/no-filter-sock-in-sump-why-randy.346993/

Personally, I don't mind washing filter socks with my weekly water change schedule but just thinking that there might be a way to streamline and simplify things, especially if it yields positive results and more pods.

I may toss in a sock every now and then when I am blowing off rick and kick up sand and gunk in the display...

On a related note, I also run foam in the last stage before the return pump to catch chaeto bits... which of course doesn't help pods get into the DT. Anyone have a good solution for this? Thought about using egg crate or coarse mesh but interested in better ways...

I also run sockless, except for when I’m cleaning.

I removed the coarse filter block from before my return area too.

Seems to work well. Easier to maintain and with more microfauna circulating.

Last edited:
BRS found that over 4 days having a sock in was no longer beneficial so if you’re going a full week you might be doing more harm than good. Like @JVU i only stick them in when cleaning then they usually come out the next day.

I just ripped out all my socks -- very liberating!! :)

Now I gotta get the foam out... any suggestions on best way to keep chaeto from getting out of the sump? Eggcrate? Other ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is there a weir on the baffle before it goes to the next chamber? That’s all mine had and did a pretty good job. Every now and then I’d get a strand in the dt but the tangs would eat it.

not on all my tanks... maybe I'll stick in some eggcrate and shim into place for ones that don't to act as a virtual weir...

Without a filter sock, I now need to think about what to do with all that free space in the drain compartment (not all of my tanks run skimmers)... hmmm... ;?

I used to run socks, then media cups with filter pads/floss, then I realized that I'm lazy as crap when it comes to cleaning socks or skimmer collection cups. So I run with nothing...commando style.

Sold! lol... actually I bought a skimmer for one of my large DTs that's full of fish and I have yet to install that skimmer. At this point, I am thinking I will follow your lead and see where it takes things. Water parameters are still perfect and I do weekly water changes... so maybe one isn't necessary after all.

...will keep an eye on things

now that I have all this freed up space in the first chamber, my wheels are churning hard in terms of what i want to put in there... feels a waste not to

Sold! lol... actually I bought a skimmer for one of my large DTs that's full of fish and I have yet to install that skimmer. At this point, I am thinking I will follow your lead and see where it takes things. Water parameters are still perfect and I do weekly water changes... so maybe one isn't necessary after all.

...will keep an eye on things

now that I have all this freed up space in the first chamber, my wheels are churning hard in terms of what i want to put in there... feels a waste not to

Oh, i still have a skimmer. I just hate cleaning it. I made a skimmate locker for one of my tanks and i can go a month plus without emptying it. I just need to find space for the other tank to hold one too. Luckily though, that one can go a week without having to be emptied.

55e940fffbbaac67e2927b903263a392.jpg

Oh, i still have a skimmer. I just hate cleaning it. I made a skimmate locker for one of my tanks and i can go a month plus without emptying it. I just need to find space for the other tank to hold one too. Luckily though, that one can go a week without having to be emptied.

55e940fffbbaac67e2927b903263a392.jpg

Think I might build one of those. Mine smells up the sump / room so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I might build one of those. Mine smells up the sump / room so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to build. Let me know if you want the part list. Did it for under $25 I think. But I already had the IO breakout box for apex for the float switch.

How does it work?

Drilled three holes in one of those Gamma-Seal screw top lids for the following:

1. Float switch that connected to Neptune Apex IO breakout box that turns off skimmer if locker is full
2. Tall middle chamber is filled with a bag of carbon so I don't have to smell it
3. Input drain from skimmer

Maybe next build I’ll have the tank near a drain so it can go straight down the drain. Then I could be even more lazy about maintenance.

If it weren't for me having redwood trees next to my home office, I'd run the drain right to the yard... but convenience at the expense of a collapsing redwood is probably too costly, despite my laziness...

Back