got ethical husbandry?

Look Ma, No Filter Socks!

Maybe next build I’ll have the tank near a drain so it can go straight down the drain. Then I could be even more lazy about maintenance.
Great until it overflows like crazy one day from water height or something and your ATO drops your salinity and crashes your tank.

If it weren't for me having redwood trees next to my home office, I'd run the drain right to the yard... but convenience at the expense of a collapsing redwood is probably too costly, despite my laziness...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Your trees would probably LOVE it. Nutrient dense, like putting compost on.

Do you guys remove the filter pads as well or just the socks. For the Red Sea sumps, it goes through the filter socks first then through a black filter pads.

Also, how much junk is in the sump without filter socks?

Do you have a cuc in there? And if so, how do you keep it from walking into to the protein skimmer pump?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I removed the socks so far but intend on try out removing the filter pads as well so that pods will actually make their way into my DT... relying on my chaeto and marinepure balls for catching the detritus to keep as much of it in the sump.

I just ripped out all my socks -- very liberating!! :)

Now I gotta get the foam out... any suggestions on best way to keep chaeto from getting out of the sump? Eggcrate? Other ideas?

Plastic Canvas (embroidery mesh)
The coarse version with larger openings.
Algae does not stick to it well. Cheap. You can zip tie it to eggcrate for stability if needed.

Based on suggestions, I mounted a Kessil A80 tuna blue to my 85G drain area and turned it into a mushroom grow out and ransom frag holding area.

We'll see about the other frags (and BTA ) long term but the shrooms love the nutrients

I might turn this into a BTA QT area too... for new BTAs before intro yo my BTA tank
5d4e0ec87b7f11f8e28495542161a455.jpg

Based on suggestions, I mounted a Kessil A80 tuna blue to my 85G drain area and turned it into a mushroom grow out and ransom frag holding area.

We'll see about the other frags (and BTA ) long term but the shrooms love the nutrients

I might turn this into a BTA QT area too... for new BTAs before intro yo my BTA tank
5d4e0ec87b7f11f8e28495542161a455.jpg

This is your drain area from the DT? The flow doesn't send everything flying around? No skimmer intake in there? Or is this before water drains out of the DT?

This is your drain area from the DT? The flow doesn't send everything flying around? No skimmer intake in there? Or is this before water drains out of the DT?
Yep.. this is the drain area from DT to sump. It only gets a blast on star up after turning off pump...but relatively gentle flow otherwise... I run my return drain all the way down to the near the floor of the sump towards one side so all the flow bouncing off creates gentle motions

I decided not to use a skimmer there... (or at all for the moment). So it's unfortunately collecting dust in the garage.

Back