Kessil

Moquito issue

So for the first time since I have moved to SF (5 years ago) from South Carolina I have not seen a single mosquito (Thank god because that was getting old.) All of a sudden starting last week I have killed 6 of them and they have been eating us alive. We keep a window open in our room so the tanks can get oxygen. Their is a screen in place, but I made the screen and it isn't exactly professional (small gaps on the corner of the screen due to improper measurements plus we have a portable AC unit attached to our window which also allows stuff to come in time to time). Anyone have a SAFE way of keeping these things at bay that won't bring harm to our fish tanks? I really didn't want to spay chemicals in fear that it would bring detrimental effects to our fish tanks.

Could have flown into the house when someone went in/out. Neighbor has a backyard pond or you live near a freshwater pond or something, because sure as hell isn't from rainwater accumulating :D

Most mosquitos come in on/with you.
When we built a sunroom off the back door, mosquitos in the house went way down.
The double set of doors really helped.

But yes, taping gaps, and looking for others in the house also helps also

Bug zappers only work on mosquitos if you have a CO2+heat bait system, and you don't want that inside.

That said -- one or two mosquitos is nothing compared to many other regions.

Which part do you live?

I live in Noe Valley in San Francisco.

Could have flown into the house when someone went in/out. Neighbor has a backyard pond or you live near a freshwater pond or something, because sure as hell isn't from rainwater accumulating :D

Yah I hear you seeing rain is a miracle. Since I live in the city I havn't seen any freshwater ponds around. The home owners here do have a very small garden in the "backyard" (if you could even call it that) and did recently do some maintenance to it perhaps that could have stirred something up.

That said -- one or two mosquitos is nothing compared to many other regions.

Yes this. I used to live in SC near a lake and holy cow it sucked.

That said I'll probably tape up some holes with weather tape and see if that helps. I am just hoping they aren't going to start make a small breeding nest near the tanks we set up. I looked around but as we all know mosquitos are masters at biting you without even noticing that they are there.

Yah I hear you seeing rain is a miracle. Since I live in the city I havn't seen any freshwater ponds around. The home owners here do have a very small garden in the "backyard" (if you could even call it that) and did recently do some maintenance to it perhaps that could have stirred something up.
Well I'm sure you're more of an expert than I about mosquitos considering where you're from, but Noe Valley, yeah that sounds like someone may have a water feature or something in their backyard

Well I'm sure you're more of an expert than I about mosquitos considering where you're from, but Noe Valley, yeah that sounds like someone may have a water feature or something in their backyard

I duno about expert but def grown to hate these little blood suckers lol. Just hoping this situation blows over and is a temporary thing.

I wouldn’t worry about using sprays at the windows because people do dip corals in more concentrated insecticides theses days. Worse case you loose an invert , doubtfully though.

I wouldn’t worry about using sprays at the windows because people do dip corals in more concentrated insecticides theses days. Worse case you loose an invert , doubtfully though.

You know for some reason I didn't even think of that even though I have a bottle of bayer sitting under my tank.. for some reason my mind went directly to "any insect spray" is going to be bad for the tank.

You know for some reason I didn't even think of that even though I have a bottle of bayer sitting under my tank.. for some reason my mind went directly to "any insect spray" is going to be bad for the tank.
Even though you dip the corals in it, you don’t want any getting in the tank. The corals can handle brief exposure to it but not live in it.

Back