High Tide Aquatics

Julius' CDA 150 Build

Yeah, it is 5 feet long, 2' wide and 2' tall, 150 gallon.

I will have 5 suction cups. Here is list of club members that may help. Be great if I can get total of 4. I will still ask my friends outside the hobby to stop by.

1. Cheedo
2. coral4me (volunteered by Ashalye)
3. myself
TBD: NelsonCh

We got 4!

Let's meet at my house 2pm Sat 8/18.

I will PM as we get closer.

1. Cheedo
2. coral4me (volunteered by Ashalye)
3. lbn
4. myself
TBD: NelsonCh

68a316b046f0aae09655a860901fb3e0.jpg

Missed Liam before he went home. Pictured: Eric, Matt and Julius.

It was Ashalye taking photo. I was the guy in blue shorts and gray T-shirt with back facing the cam. Honestly, I had about only 10 pounds in my hands ;-)

Today's move went flawlessly. Quite a few great decisions/suggestions by lbn and Coral4me. Experience absolutely made a difference here!

Thank you for both of them and Liem for taking time to come out and help! Special thanks to Ashalye for taking both the big baby Coral4me and the small baby out during their nap time!

I think moving this tank, 4 guys will be minimum. I personally will go for 6 guys min. We had 8 guys, which helped to make things easier, so we didn't have to think too much of what if scenarios before lifting it.

I'd be sealing the bottom of the stand and plumbing in the overflow box/sump in coming 2 to 3 weeks. Hope to start running water by mid Sept.

Thanks guys!
Julius

Last edited:
So I have only 2x Vega color lights. Thinking to buy and add 2x used hydra 52 HD, or 2x Radion (XR30?). Thoughts? Radion could be too expensive.

Also will look for used PM1 or PM2 to connect equipment in garage and tank in sitting room, if on sales for a good price.

Last edited:
Does my CDA euro braced tank need screen cover to prevent jumpers?

I noticed the other day coral4me’s nice rimless tank, not euro braced, has no screen cover.

It would depend on what you want to keep in the future, but I would consider a different light than the AI Vega Color. I used to run 2 of them over my 47G tank. They worked well on there and could grow even sps on the sandbed, but then you'll have to crank them up and there were hotspots. It'll be hard to find replacement parts for them down the line (e.g. fans) unless you want to buy someone's older fixture (probably the best bang for the buck investment if you want to stick with the Vegas). Good lights, but old technology.

If you plan on keeping mainly softies, lps, and the hardier sps mounted higher up on the rockwork, they'll still work. Just plan on upgrading down the line.

F3A72954-0606-4907-A1F0-41BB732BA611.jpeg
Guys,

Just installed plumbing. I use beanimal ghost overflow box. In photo are the siphon and open trickle pipes.

I was told the smaller 1” pipe with gate valve should be trickle drain, and the latger one (to the right, which has a ball valve, refer to that blue handle pointing downward) should be the siphone drain.

Does this sound right?

I thought gate valve should be on siphon drain, and trickle drain can benefit from larger pipe (for silence).

As others said. And just to summarize. I put the gate valve on the smaller diameter pipe which i'm putting the siphon drain on. The larger (emergency) pipe is wide open. I also have a gate on that one in case i need to close off my water drain for maintenance, but i always run it wide open.

After you get the siphon right, you want just a trickle of water to flow through the larger pipe. This also keeps things from getting stagnant.

Back