Jestersix

ID: weird reddish algae?

So I’ve been battling GHA the past couple of months, but now that the GHA is slowly going away I’ve noticed a weird red hairy thing on one of my rocks. I guess I’m just noticing them now because they’ve always been buried under the GHA. What’s concerning is that I don’t think this is algae.. it retracts into the rocks when touched.
Help! Should I remove this rock immediately?
2bacbcba93f1ff925fc6bca3f2026f03.jpg

2332f0b35f37b68d4cbd5febc2bc0892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kinda hard to see clearly in those blue pics, can you take some with white light?

My first guess is bryopsis.

Luckily there is now a complete and easy cure for this previous scourge- Fluconazole.

Here’s a better pic with the flash on. Again, it retracts when touched.. if that helps identify it easier. Thanks!
090291589245c8ec5d10b445e3223898.jpg

If you don't think it's algae, could it be Anthelia coral? The second pic totally looks like pink Anthelia.

I looked up anthelia pics and they look similar but these are much smaller. It took max zoom for my iPhone to take those pics.

Kinda hard to see clearly in those blue pics, can you take some with white light?

My first guess is bryopsis.

Luckily there is now a complete and easy cure for this previous scourge- Fluconazole.
Do you know If there is a reddish bryopsis?

I don’t think it is bryopsis anymore. I didn’t notice that you said it retracts when touched, which excludes bryopsis and other algaes I know of.

That better pic shows it more clearly, doesn’t look like an algae. More like small anemones, corals, or hydroids. Not sure.

That’s pretty close. Should I remove the rock?
These little buggers are notoriously difficult to get rid of. Like Aptasia, little bits that break off can start a new colony. If it were my tank, I'd pull the rock and treat it in quarantine.

Agree with chromis... not hydroids but xenia... if it's on an island, it's fairly contained but if your rock is attached to bigger pieces, expect a takeover... or if pieces break off... then will spread like weeds

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree with chromis... not hydroids but xenia... if it's on an island, it's fairly contained but if your rock is attached to bigger pieces, expect a takeover... or if pieces break off... then will spread like weeds

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Chromis said anthelia, which is different from Xenia, I ageee it look a way more like anthelia than Xenia.

Back