Reef nutrition

Thanks a lot APEX

For some reason my fmm went from address 22 to address 23 with no additional modules added in months. So now my ato dumped like a gallon of kalk into my tank. pH shit up to 9.7.

Here glad I was able to do a water change lots of unhappy corals. And my tank haven't been happy for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For some reason my fmm went from address 22 to address 23 with no additional modules added in months. So now my ato dumped like a gallon of kalk into my tank. pH shit up to 9.7.

Here glad I was able to do a water change lots of unhappy corals. And my tank haven't been happy for awhile.

I heard you can add some soda water (sparkling water) to bring PH down?

After lots of vinegar it's back down to 8.1 I haven't checked it yet but hopefully nothing serious. I guess I'll have to fast track my ghl transition.

FWIW I had "random" problems with my Apex also a few months back, it turned out to be the display module acting up. Took some time to figure out what was going on though.

Ouch! I am sorry to hear that.

When a module jumps address, it is usually caused by a few reasons. However, there is usually no programming when it goes to a new address so I am guessing that you are not using the PMUP connected to the FMM?

What was the programming you had for the ATO? Were you using a pump that is connected to the energy bar and using the sensors tied to the previous module address?

It is always good to build in checks when doing the programming. A statement that turns off the pump if the pH goes too high is usually a good idea when you are using kalk.

Edit: I see that you did have that pH line in the pump statement so that pump should not have kept pumping. This really had nothing to do with the module jumping addresses. What kind of pump do you have?

Last edited:
Ouch!

If you don't trust it:
Copy/paste all programming to text file
Power cycle
Reset to factory defaults (system init memory)
Upgrade to latest firmware
Power cycle
Reprogram it by hand. (Do not just reload old programming)

A hassle, but something is screwy, so might be worth it.

Ouch! I am sorry to hear that.

When a module jumps address, it is usually caused by a few reasons. However, there is usually no programming when it goes to a new address so I am guessing that you are not using the PMUP connected to the FMM?

What was the programming you had for the ATO? Were you using a pump that is connected to the energy bar and using the sensors tied to the previous module address?

It is always good to build in checks when doing the programming. A statement that turns off the pump if the pH goes too high is usually a good idea when you are using kalk.

Edit: I see that you did have that pH line in the pump statement so that pump should not have kept pumping. This really had nothing to do with the module jumping addresses. What kind of pump do you have?

It's a litermeter peristaltic pump. Anyways regardless the checks should of kept the pump from pumping.

Bummer.... BTW, for the future, if you're worried about the organic carbon from vinegar, you could always titrate dilute muriatic acid (HCl).

It's a litermeter peristaltic pump. Anyways regardless the checks should of kept the pump from pumping.

The pH statement should have stopped the pump after it rose past the set value. Somehow the programming was bypassed but I don't see how.

The interesting thing is you have a similar period of the pump working (about 11 mins, broken into 2 consecutive periods with a 1 sec break in between) prior to this one and the pH only jumped from 8.04 to 8.35. But this period of 11 mins went from 8.23-9.7.

Yeah I don't know what's the deal here maybe it's gotten to the bottom of my kalk reactor where it's a lot more saturated.

Yeah I don't know what's the deal here maybe it's gotten to the bottom of my kalk reactor where it's a lot more saturated.

That is confusing.
With a "reactor" you usually pump RODI in, and it mixes to create a fully saturated solution.
As it pumps in on the bottom, a bit overflows off the top.
If you pump way too much, you run out of kalk at the bottom, and really just end up pumping RODI.
??

The pH statement should have stopped the pump after it rose past the set value. Somehow the programming was bypassed but I don't see how.
I don't want to sound like I'm talking out my ass, but I am :D as I don't have an Apex but he said it went from channel 22 to 23, maybe the pH if/then statement (assuming Apex runs off similar ideas) only would shut off channel 22 and not 23 because it's assumed that will be the channel?

I don't want to sound like I'm talking out my ass, but I am :D as I don't have an Apex but he said it went from channel 22 to 23, maybe the pH if/then statement (assuming Apex runs off similar ideas) only would shut off channel 22 and not 23 because it's assumed that will be the channel?

No I run a separate plug for ato pump. But the ghost ato @22 kept the circuit open. Not sure why the pH statement didn't catch it either need to troubleshoot that one.

Back