High Tide Aquatics

Flame angel help ASAP

Klems

Supporting Member
Have had this guy for over nine months....didn't come out to eat this morning and found him with some white expanded eye? What could this be, how can I fix it?

Moved it to my small tank with a few corals and inverts.
IMG_20180921_110138915_BURST003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_110138915_BURST004.jpg
    IMG_20180921_110138915_BURST004.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 209
It's a bacterial infection that can be treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic in the tank. Most importantly, feed good healthy food often. Keep him fat so his immune system can help.

I have some cipro tablets I was going to use for a magnifica treatment. Not sure if those will help, but let me know. I'm in Berkeley.

Neptune's will have a couple of choices. A broad spectrum antibiotic is usually ok with corals and inverts as long as the filteration is excellent.

Take any carbon and your skimmer offline while you are dosing medications. Or run your skimmer on a timed basis. At least turn it off for a few hours on initial dose and again if you dose more.

Not a lot of filtration on that tank, just some Marine pure balls and some GFO and GAC in a bag....would I the better to just move it to a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and pump?

I would use furan 2 or perhaps triple sulfa by API. Water change (and redose for water change amount) every 2 days for a week and see how it goes. As mentioned turn off skimmer, remove carbon and any inverts or corals before treatment. After 3 treatments and a week you should notice improvement and continue treatment or change the medication if no improvement.
Best of luck to you and your angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a lot of filtration on that tank, just some Marine pure balls and some GFO and GAC in a bag....would I the better to just move it to a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and pump?
In one bucket long term, definitely not, as mentioned above.
But if you change buckets every 1-2 days, it works great. In fact I consider this ideal. Like ich bucket-TTM.
Downside is some stress from netting.
But you can carefully control treatment that way.
Each new bucket is fresh, and you add the specific amount of meds you want.
In display tank, who knows what level the meds will be at after a day or so.

* I usually use DT water for the bucket the fish will go in, to eliminate acclimation issues.
Then put fresh salt water replacement in the DT.

Back