Jestersix

How to Set Up Coral QT?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
I searched old threads and think I will set up a coral QT. Seems like it is best to have a permanent tank as opposed to temporary. Not too bright light is recommended, but not sure what that means. Would old PC lights or a refugium LED spotlight-type light work?
Just tank, water, heater, powerhead, light?
If doing water changes, no filter is needed? So if there's no sand or rock, how do I cycle it and establish biofiltration? Add bacteria and they just live on walls? I think I am missing something basic here.
I know it's an option, but I do not wish to connect it to an established tank.

Depends on what you need it for. If it's just temporary, just set it up temporarily.

Awhile back I planned out a QT, which was basically a regular system with a frag rack instead of rocks in the display. Good strong light, skimmer, ATO, UV just in case, and carbon reactor.

What type of thank are you looking into setting up? AIO, regular off the shelf?, size?
If you plan on corals only I think Art is right on the spot; some egg-crate to hold the frags in place.
For an AIO tank, some clean cycled rock as main filtration, maybe some macro-algae.
Carbon reactor just in case.
Depending on what you have in mind, I may have a thing or two that you could use. PC lights do work; think of it as a “U” shaped T5 lamp. If a regular tank is to be used, maybe a hang-on-back skimmer (think Remora)
I may have a T5 fixture, two lamps, 24” and somewhere in a bin, a Sunpod either 70w or 150w metal halide.

I had a dual 35g coral QT setup for a couple of years successfully. I didn’t have a skimmer or fuge. The key for me was no fish, so the bioload was low. I did 10% water changes weekly and I skimmed the water off the top. I did use Kessils as my light, cheapo Koralia flow pumps, and 2 part dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key - keep lights close to coral.
If your corals are very close to surface, and lights are down right near water, you need very little.
I use an AquaticLife EDGE LED.

What I had in mind was a simple and cheap 10-20g with a powerhead and heater. Do not really want to QT at all, but seems wise after my pest issue.

What I had in mind was a simple and cheap 10-20g with a powerhead and heater. Do not really want to QT at all, but seems wise after my pest issue.
That should work. If your coral load is low, then water changes may be sufficient and won’t need to dose. So, it should be low maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have those three things, a glass cube 18x18, scratches on the glass, simple powerhead and a small heater.
Also have a double-24W T5 fixture. Don’t know if it can be shortened to better fit on the 18” cube but I can check.

Back