Cali Kid Corals

150G Outdoor Reef (or maybe just frag) Tank

So, on impulse and thanks to the tip off from @ashburn2k, I now find myself the proud owner of a 150G tank but have no more room in my office to cram another tank...at least not without structural failure...

So after much mulling, I've decided that the only spot I can put a tank is the nook on my back deck. And, I always like the idea of minimal energy consumption for reefing. So, I've decided to set up an outdoor reef that will use natural sunlight as its main source of photosynthesis... my initial thought is even the refugium will be sun powered but I might give in to placing it in the sump versus in the DT and using a light underneath the stand.

At first I was worried I had to reinforce the deck but taking a peek underneath, I was pleasantly surprised... it's already well reinforced from what I can tell. ;) less work -- I LOVE that!

Will keep you guys updated as I start the process to hopefully my last tank build for awhile (I keep saying that....I know...)

For the record, this will be my 11th operating tank (after tearing down 2).
c8ef0952506936cc93d3dfd70089d723.jpg
58a1a63d46ba0efc5f6ed7c29c185ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What temperature do you plan on running this? If you plan on doing a typical reef, electricity for heating will kill you. I know as I had a large sump plumbed into my crawl space area.

Yup, you live in PG&E's "you're not allowed to use any electricity... but if you do you better lube up for that monthly bill" zone, granted not as bad as San Francisco... but still.

But yeah, direct sunlight will absolutely cook that tank, and then at night you'll work very hard to keep it up to temp. I would at the very least place it on the deck, fill it with tap water, and throw a temperature controller on it to see what it does temperature wise over the course of a few days, then toss in some heaters and try to get it up to desired temp while hooked to a kill-a-watt (or similar) device to see how much power you're using.

My bill used to run 4-500 just for the tank in the winter. After insulating I think I got it down between 3-400.

While you are leaving it out there, just do a water leak test just in case and if you have an extra apex, have it track the temp change outdoor or at the spot you are planing to set it up. And see how crazy temperature change it’s going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While you are leaving it out there, just do a water leak test just in case and if you have an extra apex, have it track the temp change outdoor or at the spot you are planing to set it up. And see how crazy temperature change it’s going to be.
And then remember it's not yet winter yet.

What temperature do you plan on running this? If you plan on doing a typical reef, electricity for heating will kill you. I know as I had a large sump plumbed into my crawl space area.
74F at bottom...

At some point, I will probably put in solar panels... electricity bill has been climbing with all my tanks, so win win! :)

Great deal on a tank now lets throw down 25-30 grand on some solar panels to make it affordable to run! :)
Hahaha... :)

We've been wanting solar for awhile... so this is more of a side benefit

But, to your point, I would actually do something like that

Insulation except for front. Some sort of clear roof to keep out critters and rain.
Evaporative fan cooled in summer. Gas heater for winter.
Sounds like a fun project.
Easier and cheaper than a Koi pond.

But would you ignore it out there?

Back