Our mission

BAR 2018 Annual Regional Frag Swap

I think bonus/ultra do count towards the 3 minimum.

I’m kind of dismayed if that is the average number of corals brought since I know quite a few people brought WAY more than 3, so that means a large majority of people brought exactly 3.

Typical of regional swaps. Members only is often the opposite.

Quite a number only did indeed only brought 3 corals just to qualify. On top of that, there's always the issue of mislabeled/improperly labeled frags, lack of water to actually cover the frag, and unhealthy/receding frags.

The members only one was indeed better and if I was to only attend a swap a year that would be it.

Well just doing some napkin math here, I came home with 4 corals, didn't do the free for all, so 4 rounds x 54 people = 216 corals, then I threw in another 30 or so that were left for the free-for-all, there may have been more I don't think there was enough to do another full round though which is why I kind of just split the difference. Also didn't take into account bonus corals, but since those people potentially picked more than everyone else (3 ultras, they get 3 bonus picks, plus 4 rounds = 7 corals, even if they only have 3 bonus corals = 1 extra pick + 4 rounds = 5 corals), maybe call it 5 per person on average, which sounds bout right. There were a handful of people who did bring a lot, but most were between 3 and 5 or so corals I'd guess, sometimes hard to gauge when I just pick up a stack of containers if they all came from the same person or if they were multiple people.

It's great to get this feedback. Based on the feedback as well as discussions at the frag swap, we will re-visit what qualifies as a Bonus/Ultra.

Here is what our classroom received from the swap: 2 Lithophyllon, green Nephthea, purple Stylophora, Silver gorgonian, blue cloves, red monti cap. We have multiple frags of the gorg and monti due to student dipping incidents this morning. Also bought a red photosynthetic sponge. Will put the monti in nudibranch-free tank as a test.
We set up a coral quarantine tank recently and put in the new frags. Ask a group of middle school boys for a sign to identify it as the QT and this is what you get:
QT.JPG

First time going to a swap. Want to say thank you guys for putting on such a great event. We had a great time. Being a noob everyone was really helpful, Learned a lot, picked up some nice frags and won a raffle prize. Cant wait to start a bigger tank and get in the mix.
6c18648476aa6348edbc796562f4d6c8.jpg
7dfd92c9cee81e91edd99e847185038d.jpg
e8105eaebcfa649b51e7710f3278b5f2.jpg
9badf4e3288d7e525368be398c31825e.jpg
905ac956dd99583396127beeb1d89ce6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All attendees will receive a $30 gift card for a (future) purchase with purchase of $100 to Bay Bridge Aquarium in Oakland (courtesy of Bay Bridge Aquarium)

Don't forget to register and save $10 off the reg fee.
I didn’t get this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what our classroom received from the swap: 2 Lithophyllon, green Nephthea, purple Stylophora, Silver gorgonian, blue cloves, red monti cap. We have multiple frags of the gorg and monti due to student dipping incidents this morning. Also bought a red photosynthetic sponge. Will put the monti in nudibranch-free tank as a test.
We set up a coral quarantine tank recently and put in the new frags. Ask a group of middle school boys for a sign to identify it as the QT and this is what you get:
View attachment 10596

Oh, that's very nice and on time for Halloween; you know, sticknyour hand in there, turn into a zombie and go trick or treating...

what would the swap look like if the requirement to join the swap were to bring 3 "bonus" corals for entry? you can still bring mushrooms, monti caps, birdsnest, etc after your 3 "bonus" entries. only people bringing ultra corals would get one 1st round pick. when the Letter rounds go all the way to J and back, the first three rounds would have bonus corals to pick.

currently, if you bring non-bonus corals and get lucky with Letter A or B, your chances of getting a "higher end" coral is much better than those with I or J in the first round. by having a 3 bonus coral entry, everyone participating will have a chance at bringing nice corals and going home with nice corals. it evens out the playing field.

there is enough time between now and the next swap that we should all have a chance to purchase bonus frags (can be as little as $10) and grow them out for the next swap to reach bonus level. this idea also promotes our hobbyists and local fish stores to propagate and distribute nice corals in the Bay Area.

this is a community event. bring nice corals that are growing well and share them. it doesnt seem right to bring a purple mushroom, get letter A, and take home a super ultra whatchamacholit frag. im not saying anyone did this, but the swap, in its current form, has the potential for it to happen.

@enaldy Picked up something from you at the regional swap that I've never heard before, black hornets. The name had me intrigued so I figured why the hell not and picked up a frag. FYI, here they are today.
20181115_black_hornets_wtf.jpg

FYI, these are not black hornets or even close. Please consider asking next time if you're unsure what these zoas are called.

@enaldy Picked up something from you at the regional swap that I've never heard before, black hornets. The name had me intrigued so I figured why the hell not and picked up a frag. FYI, here they are today.
20181115_black_hornets_wtf.jpg

FYI, these are not black hornets or even close. Please consider asking next time if you're unsure what these zoas are called.
Hey @Ibn, I never had black Hornets, the one I brought to the swap were black man eaters (as some people on the forum told me, since i didn't know the name).

If I wrote the wrong name I apologize, and can make it up to you... do you have the container lid with the wrong name?

Also the ones with the green rim, i never had those either. I think you got the frags mixed up.

The frag plug is also strange to me, since I have only generic ones, and none with brand on them.. as far as I can remember.

Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back