got ethical husbandry?

Polyp Poisoning.... Stupidest thing I think I've ever done.

Treatment is symptomatic, so if you're still breathing and improving there's not much that can be done, maybe vasodialators (sp?) can help, but the worst is over AKAIK.

[quote author=LordHelmet link=topic=6287.msg79980#msg79980 date=1234290350]
I'm glad things weren't worse. Being a father I could just imagine how you feel for your children. Please be carefull everyone.
[/quote]

Ya.... don't get me started.... I feel terrible right now. Aside from still feeling a little sick. We were all in a terrible situation last night and it was my fault. I especially feel bad for my two boys.

I second that Jeff. Glad everyone is feeling better! I know how it is to see your kids sick and it is a horrible feeling! Just be glad that things are better now!

Sorry for the brutal experience! Thank you for sharing that with us though, it's always good to be reminded of the dangers, no matter how obscure! I'm guessing the boiling water mixed with the toxins to create a deadly steam.

I have a few paly's in my tank as well, brown and green, not particularly nice. I never really liked them, but I can't get myself to kill something just because it's not pretty...however, if it might be dangerous, it might be time to leave that rock out in the backyard (and possibly rid myself of racoons too ... j/k!)

Thanks for posting and reminding us all to be careful around those little chemical factories!

V

wow, that must have been a scary experience. Glad to know your feeling better and your family too. I think this one beats the time I ate 4 days old KFC gravy.

thanks for sharing and warning us. we all make mistakes, i wouldnt have guessed that one either.

damn, glad everyone is ok..... The hot water was the key...it hit the rock and the steam from it probably carried the toxin into the air. I would wash anything that was left out last night - cups, dishes, fruits. No need to get in again.....unless what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Yeah next time just lets the rocks sit outside for a week.

Never knew boiling polyps could be so bad. You all heard about my experience of getting the "juice" in my eye. Yep, I believe in Palytoxin and it appears there is more than one way to be affected by it.

Glad everyone is OK and thank you for sharing the story.

I've heard something similar from Sanjay. He was retelling a story where a large zoa covered rock caused similar problems before being left out for the winter and even thawing out after winter.

Even though this was a horrendously terrible experience, thank you for sharing it with us so we do not make the same mistake.

I wanted to create a little dieback of some green star polyps, so I soaked the rocks in fresh water for 1/2 hour. The smell was bad as I pulled them out, and they are not even supposed to be that poisonous. I didn't boil them, but thought about doing it. I'm glad I didn't. I definitely won't boil any coral since reading your story.

I'm glad you are all doing better. Take care, and well wishes for you and your family. :)

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life - not boil it and poison your family! :D

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6287.msg80137#msg80137 date=1234314960]
BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life - not boil it and poison your family! :D
[/quote]

Euphyllia, your statement is insensitive, and not a laughing matter considering how grave the situation could have been. This story was shared to help all of us from making the same, possibly fatal, mistake. We should thank Jeff, not ridicule him for sharing his story. We are all here to help each other become better reefers by posting positive comments that help others, not make them feel badly, especially when they share their mistakes. Remember that all of us are vulnerable to making mistakes.

That being said, sometimes a try for humor will lighten a grave situation. I am sure you were well meaning. :)

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=6287.msg80136#msg80136 date=1234314867]
Don't worry about the sickness part, the flu, stomach flu, and a bad case of the common clod is going around all the schools...
[/quote]

Not like this dude.. Are you an Expert Doctor today??

BTW, This thread should be moved to reef discussion.

Don't worry about the sickness part, the flu, stomach flu, and a bad case of the common clod is going around all the schools...
[/quote]

Have you even read this thread? Please feel free not to comment on this thread anymore.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6287.msg80158#msg80158 date=1234318534]
[/quote]

Not like this dude.. Are you an Expert Doctor today??

BTW, This thread should be moved to reef discussion.
[/quote]

Thanks Elite.... I could of swore that I put it in the reef discussion forum in the first place. Not sure how it ended up in the DBTC forum... still suffering the effects of the polytoxin I guess... ;D

Back