High Tide Aquatics

Julius' CDA 150 Build

The Netgear WNCE3001 is a wireless adapter irc. Which means it needed to be connected to the router wirelessly. Did you verify that the WNCE was talking to your router?

I used the Director with it connected via ethernet to a switch and it worked great.

I did connect WNCE3001 and my laptop via ethernet cable and disabled wifi on my laptop, so that I could confirm WNCE3001 is connected to internet wirelessly.

However, I have no evidence so far that the AI director, once connected with WNCE3001 via ethernet cable, is connected to internet.

Anybody near Fremont-Milpitas-Santa Clara has a few pcs flat shelf rock and tonga branches? Interested in buying just a small qty to For my new tank.

Prefer dry rocks instead of live rocks, fearful of hitch hikers and risk of disease.

Two random questions:

1. I calibrated all 3 refactor meters to 35 ppt a year ago. This morning all 3 meters showed 36~37 ppt using the SAME bottle of calibration fluid (which has been kept in fridge). Does calibration fluid expire, or the meters somehow shifted? Maybe temperature calibration fluid is the culprit?

2. Setting up Bubble Magnus doser. Plan to use 1/4" RODI tubing plus RODI check valves in the incoming lines. Wonder if this plan is OK: instead of using clear silicone tubing, and will check valve put too much burden on the pumps?

Thanks!

A good doser should not back siphon at all.
It only means the rollers don't clamp the hose right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read online that when the pumps stops after a cycle, the fluid in the incoming tube will drop off by gravity. This may introduce inconsistency in dosage next time it spins up, because the drop may not be consistent among the 3 pumps.
I’ve heard this same argument but I don’t give it any weight. Peristaltic pumps always have at least one (sometimes more) head compressing the tubing. Even with gravity there won’t be any coming out. It’s like holding liquid in a straw when you put your finger over the end of it. Unless the tube is large enough for the liquid to slide down one side of it, you’re good.

Anybody knows where to buy replacement tubing for bubble magnus doser’s heads?

I found online at $15 for 3 short segments. Hoping somebody figured out inexpensive generic alternatives?

I also noticed air leaking into the clear tubing. What size and materials of tubing do u use? Do I need clamps to tighten the tubing over adapters?

Last edited:
I'm guessing air is coming in from old tubes inside heads. They get tiny holes then don't hold the prime.
I've seen brs selling them. Also found them on amazon I think. @Oakland Evan foubd some online before for cheap.
Aquatic collection carries them, but they are not cheap there.

So I plan to follow Triton method in this new set up. It has been running since Sept. 15th, no caroline algae yet.

Chaeto in the sump, under H380, has not really grown much. Actually first batch of chaeto I put in early Oct were dying off. In last week, I noticed some zoas seem to be thinning out a bit. Some kind of hair algae in the sump, and tinny tinny hair seen in display rocks.

I have been manually dozing two parts. Alk at 7.8, Calcium 420, Mag at 1320. No ICP testing done yet.

Question I am wondering is whether I should do water changes and give the setup time to mature and stabilize before no water changes and dosing only?

You do the ICP now to see if you need to balance the water out to what Triton wants it. Then do the ICP test again to see if the water quality is where it should be. It is an ongoing balancing act.

@scuzy I will test for phosphate this weekend, which I think indicate my nutrient level? I do get skimates and some hair algae - that implies nutrient, right?

@Vhuang168 If my system is still changing, isn’t better using water changes to buy time for it to mature/stablize, instead of chasing ICP numbers right away?

A different question- I am debating Marine Pure (leeching aluminum) vs Siporax (raises silicates level). Any comments about living with elevated silicate level?

@scuzy I will test for phosphate this weekend, which I think indicate my nutrient level? I do get skimates and some hair algae - that implies nutrient, right?

@Vhuang168 If my system is still changing, isn’t better using water changes to buy time for it to mature/stablize, instead of chasing ICP numbers right away?

A different question- I am debating Marine Pure (leeching aluminum) vs Siporax (raises silicates level). Any comments about living with elevated silicate level?

The question is what raised aluminum? I have had 2x large blocks of Marine pure and lots of balls and I have no elevated aluminum readings from my ICP tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also have a large MP block with normal (very low) aluminum levels on Triton testing. Even those who had higher levels for the most part were attributing it to an inert form of aluminum that doesn’t harm animals. There were a few very vocal reefers who thought there was a problem. It may have been an early batch issue, or maybe there never was a real problem. But either way I don’t think it’s a real problem now.

Last edited:
Back