High Tide Aquatics

Day lights saving

How does day light saving effect coral and fish? I assume they get used to lights coming on at a certain time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish are probably more accustomed to your habits, i.e. "here comes that big thing that gives us food, lets act playful", so doesn't matter. That said no sense in changing the lighting schedule just because your clocks change.

If you really feel that bad about it, vote yes on Prop 7 :)

Fish are probably more accustomed to your habits, i.e. "here comes that big thing that gives us food, lets act playful", so doesn't matter. That said no sense in changing the lighting schedule just because your clocks change.

Lol. I would never vote away day lights saving. It’s the best thing in the world.

I'm pretty sure my Apex and AI hydra just adjusted themselves automatically...

Weirdly, my fish still knew to wait for the food right at 10pm (rather than 11pm) which is the normal time my AFS feeds them, based on the light schedule maybe and the 1 hour later first feeding of the day.

Apex adjusted for it, but my Maxspect Recurve didn't. As far as I know, there isn't any daylight savings in the wild. I'm just gonna leave things as they are.

I adjusted my radions, just didn’t know if coral will been in shock or something at first. Since lights are a hour off than what they are used to.

Probably minor to them and no effect.

Everything internet-connected like the Apex auto-adjusted, but not offline devices like my Kessil AP700 lights. Updating them was as simple as just connecting to them via direct WiFi and launching the app, like I would if I were going to tweak something.

I like to update the time settings to match CA time not because I think the livestock cares, but because it fits my schedule of maintenance/feeding/enjoyment relative to my work/sleep which have to be adjusted whether I want to or not.

I program my radions via reeflink and they are auto-adjusted. Lights came on and turned off at the designated times.

Last edited:
Plus -- if you're worried about a simple time change I guess you don't want to think about how to reckon with all the days in nature that are heavily overcast, raining, etc. You could look up different parts of the ocean and find how many actual days of sun they get a year -- or you can just go with a simple photo period like most of us do. For the record though, some people swear that "cloudy day" programming help the health of their corals. :)

reminds me of that episode on Veep...

I was really considering not changing mine but like @JVU I switched it for my benefit. I can’t say I noticed any adverse effects from any of the livestock. My guess is that the spectrum, intensity, and duration are more critical, but shifting the schedule 1 hour one way or the other is minimal.

Back